Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another cruising adventure; Cape Canaveral, Fl

Well, we got the cruising bug again. We would like to go and spend 3 or 4 days up at the cape in February. we are going to take our 24' fishing boat in tow behind our YF again. we plan to anchor out the whole time and fish the mangroves. we are planning to attend a Shuttle launch during our stay and plan to get tickets early to watch the launch from inside the Kennedy Space Center (best view). my question is where would it be the best place to anchor out and fish? I'm looking for a well protected preferably isolated area with good holding. distance from the space center isn't an issue (but not too far) because I'll have our 24 which can get around quickly.

any ideas?

Mario
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Re: Another cruising adventure; Cape Canaveral, Fl

Mario, It depends on what you want. If you want fishing in range for the center consol and also want places to go and stuff to do then anchor right near the lock on the barge canal. We call the Island Ski Island. Group of spoils islands in the banana river. From there it will be a modest boat ride in the center consol north on the indian river to Mosquito lagoon were fishing is very good. Anything north of the Halover Canal including the canal is good red fish country.

From Ski Island you have many HOF members, Me, Scott, Wild Bill and many others.

sounds fun... on the way, there is a good anchorage in Hooker Cove near the entrance of the st Lucie river, about a mile from the ICW. plenty of room, good holding, plenty of water. it's not marked or noted as an anchroage on charts or in guides. If you anchor away from the channel, wakes arent' an issue.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I've watched launches from the mouth of Canaveral harbor. The area north of the harbor is a closed area during and for a while after the launch, but the harbor is open, and you can cruise east and west. That puts you as close to the launch site as possible and the view is unobstructed. The sound is so loud, no loudspeaker can come close.

I have not been inland for a launch but I imagine the difference would be slight. Be sure you are not in a closed area, get there early, anchor and spend the day. The rockets put out incredible amounts of brown smoke which I would prefer not to be directly downwind of. Although if it was dangerous to manatees I suppose the EPA would have closed down the entire complex by now.

Launches are often postponed, by hours or days. Be sure to have enough food and drink on board and don't schedule your return too tightly.

The Cape has wonderful tours of the launch sites, much to see in the museum. Great for kids. Tour scheduling could be a problem around a launch. Call ahead.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Never been to the center for a launch but have seen it from the boat at Ski Island. You can see the thing on the pad and with Binoculars you can see details such as the Boom swinging away. When it goes you hear the sound after it is a couple of miles high then it gets quite then loud again as it turns away from you.

Missed this last launch at night. Could not get over there in time from Orlando. Might be cool to be there for the return trip as it passes over the cape as ss speed and banks over the ocean to slow down for the approach. We hear the booms in orlando but never get to see the space craft.

I did see the very first mock up orbital, Enterprise, flying over the house piggy back on the 747, Late 70's. Sure was low going over orlando.

thanks for the replys!

I'll find a map and post it here so you guys can point out areas that would be nice for anchoring out and do some fishing.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Whats a map?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Whats a map?
    It must be one of those things that pilots use.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I think I saw one at a truck stop.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Nope that was one of them cool thing a ma jigs that you purchase and then abruptly fugetabout. LOL

You know like them cb thingy's
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ