Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Re: Repowering A 58TC

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky1 View Post
    OK, a quick update. I called Knoxville again who told me to call Ringgold, GA again... you get the picture. Only this time, the guy in Ringgold told me to call another guy in their Nashville office. Turns out they can in fact do the work, and the guy is working up an estimate for me.

God only knows what they will come up with as they're talking $109 per hour, plus travel, plus lodging, plus food, plus... plus... plus... somebody just please shoot me, or better yet, buy my boat(s).
    Is there nobody down in Goosepond that does this?
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer 60'

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky1 View Post
    ... somebody just please shoot me, or better yet, buy my boat(s).
    How much is it today?

Since you use her exclusively on a river, have you ever considered down-powering her? Like, if you end up needing to repoer, rather than put in big thirst 12v71s, what about a pair of 671Ns? That would be more than enough power to cruise at "hulls speed" and you'd save a TON in weight and in fuel costs. Plus, I'd bet you could sell the good engine and the bad engine for enough to cover buying 2 rebuilt 671Ns. You know, turn her into a 58TC LRC.
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

Quote Originally Posted by The Hedgehog View Post
    Is there nobody down in Goosepond that does this?
    Diesel Don?

Quote Originally Posted by SportFishCruising View Post
    How much is it today?
    How much you got?

Quote Originally Posted by stormchaser View Post
    Since you use her exclusively on a river, have you ever considered down-powering her? Like, if you end up needing to repoer, rather than put in big thirst 12v71s, what about a pair of 671Ns? That would be more than enough power to cruise at "hulls speed" and you'd save a TON in weight and in fuel costs. Plus, I'd bet you could sell the good engine and the bad engine for enough to cover buying 2 rebuilt 671Ns. You know, turn her into a 58TC LRC.
    You can't just come in at the end of a thread and start asking questions like that.

If you get bored and go back to page one, you'll see where that topic came up. I'd love to do that, but it just wouldn't be cost effective.

Hey, have you considered tossing a couple of saltshakers out on the swim platform and callin' her done? 0_o

sry, the Roamer forum's been terrible slow recently. lol

Man, so I guess that Diesel Don covers the whole Tn river basin. I have heard his name dropped from Knoxville to Eddyville. No wonder he wants to charge mileage.

I have heard another name though. I will give you a shout and we can compare notes.
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer 60'

Boy, it seems no matter what you try, you just can't get that boat singing a duet.

The upside is that you have a perfectly good 41 that looks real good too. at least you can get out and enjoy the river down there in God's Country.

Here's oping that things work out better for you soon.

I haven't read all of the replies, and maybe this was suggested already. Repair the existing problem, and reduce the injector size to save some fuel.

This will lead to different prop set. It will allow you to then return the boat to the orignal arrangment, should you ever have a desire (or need) to sell the boat.

Even if you do all of the work your self removal and replalacement od both engines is a BIG job. I would also suggest that in soft dollars, the ones not on the A list, you'll several thousant dollars.

Like all of the jobl on "that old Hat" it takes longer and costs more than we ever expect.

Good luck

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Red face Re: Repowering A 58TC

I have repowered 2 hats, a '66 41c and a '72 42c and I regretted both! Rebuild one hole and keep her at 10 kts and enjoy her.

Repowered a 42 2 summers ago and the boat has 350 or so hours. The owner loves it. It was done right and runs beautifuly. Converted 36 hat to diesel. Repowered and rebuilt plenty of boats and can't agree with your outcome.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.