Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Removing Broken Drill Bit

Geez... ya never heard of a L.A.D.A.R.G. before??? I thought that was stardard equipment on an old Hatteras! LOL ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Use a potato

I think Krush has the solution. I second the potato!

Seriously, you can cut the hole bigger and grab the bit to remove it. There is no structural issue with doing that. The aluminum plate that is glassed behind each swim platform bracket is substantial, like 3" wide. Once the bit is out, just fill the enlarged hole with thickened epoxy and redrill to size.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Go Krush. great Idea. Like a light bulb came on.
    Attached Images
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. Here's what I did - I bought a finishing nail punch for $2.99 at hardware store that already had a pretty good point to it. Since it was cobalt bit that was pretty brittle I was able to shatter it with nail punch and hammer and get it back out the way it went in. Went at sheared screw once more with a slightly larger bit and got it out – Success!.

I agree with spartonboat1, I always find it really interesting when people, like luckdave215, tell what they have done. My father in law, who was in the Navy during Vietnam, was in town for the weekend. We went to the Cradle of Aviation of Museum in Garden City, New York on Saturday - what a display of both aircraft and space ships. One of the best museums I can recall visiting. Didn't know that all the lunar landers where made in Bethpage, Long Island. They even had the real Lunar Lander # 14 in 'life like" display that was suppose to go up on Apollo 18 before it was cancelled (Apollo 17 was last one). Dave - I think of you .

Yesterday we went to the Intrepid Sea and Space Museum (Air Craft Carrier) which just came back from being refurbished. Right next to it is a "Growler" submarine - immediately thought of yachtsmanbill and his older boat “Growler” - did he serve on this same sub or is that the make of that boat? This sub was old but bad ass – had two missile silos on front. The missiles actually slid aft horizontally onto a missile launcher that is the raised and pointed at target (this all apparently happened when the sub surfaced). As a quick aside – was talking with one of volunteers (a veteran) who said they are Not suppose to talk about guns and war, and here we were on the deck of an aircraft carrier with a 30 year history filled with about 70 different fighter jets and helicopters. As if future wasn’t already bleak enough. Anyway – thank goodness for this web-forum where men can be men and talk about such things as L.A.D.A.R.G’s and potato’s.
    Last edited by sgharford; 11-10-2008 at 08:46 AM.

My pal gators barber was a bow gunner (anti aircraft) on the Intrepid. Old Harve doesnt mind talking war stories. The bastard lived long enough (82?) to talk about it so ya gotta listen.
    Ya got me on the Growler part tho... Only sub service has been in the
    21st century ;- ) ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Go Krush. great Idea. Like a light bulb came on.

Actually, it was sorta serious comment--use potato to remove broken lightbulb...use something similar to remove broke drill bit.

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    My pal gators barber was a bow gunner (anti aircraft) on the Intrepid. Old Harve doesnt mind talking war stories. The bastard lived long enough (82?) to talk about it so ya gotta listen.
    Ya got me on the Growler part tho... Only sub service has been in the
    21st century ;- ) ws
    I noticed some of the WWII vets are willing to speak a little bit.

One, who is father of a friend, was in the Battle of the Bulge as a tank commander. Said his turret was blown off, 2-3 men died inside, how he survived I don't know. Another said his brother had his ship sunk from under him the Atlantic, went to the Pacific...ditto! My Uncle was commander in WWII of several supply ships of the type in the Mr. Roberts movie, all documented on the internet. Found a writeup on the internet describing a major battle in which he partook, Gulf of Leyte I think. He took a destroyer under tow away from burning waters, after major attack by Japanese aircraft. Also picked up many men on fire. The destroyer sank the next day. He desribed to me being in a typhoon and other ships going be driven by huge seas and winds with men screaming for help as there ships were later to sink in the seas. My Little League coach, as nice a man as I have known, was very gaunt. Later found out he was in one of the death camps/marches and survived; I don't think he totally recovered. Our small town mayor was a German POW for several years...wrote a book now that he is in his mid 80's. My sons father-in-law was conscripted into the German Army in WWII, but was Austrian...no love lost! He escaped from a Russian front prison camp, with 3 others and they went over the Alps. He said he was the only survivor, as the others all died or were killed.

None of it a pleasant experience. I hope we don't revisit any of that in my lifetime, except we have had Vietnam, Desert Storm, and now Iragi Freedom. The scope of WWII was far more massive, but about 5x more men lost (450k+ vs 57k). Then there is the forgotten war...Korea where we lost more men than in Vietnam. Several of my personal friends were killed or maimed in Vietnam. One has the scars and a Bronze Star to show for it all.

I count my blessings. Sorry for the streaming!
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Thanks for that SB... sometimes I wish I had the talent to put these stories into prose. Once these vets are gone, their tales of bravery will be lost forever!
    I had an uncle that was a tank commander in the bulge and died there too, but it was 10 years before my time. He was awarded the CMH and the bronze star postumously, but better than that, my grandfather name a yacht after him, the "CHARLIE R" for Capt Charles Rose. People back then were SOOO DAMNED REAL. Unlike the plastic bastards today.
    We now return control of the soapbox to you, our viewers.... ws
    yachtsmanWILLY