Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Garmin Vs. Raymarine

I am on the fence between installing the Garmin 4212 Chartplotter or the Raymarine E120, each with black box sonar and sat weather.

Any testimonials would be appreciated.

Re: Garmin Vs. Raymarine

I have the E120 and I love it. I like the support of the other system components and believe it better than Garmin. On the other hand the Furuno is sweet too.

FYI the Raymarine E-120 is now the little brother to the G series so I suspect there may be some updates that are coming as the new G series gets more features.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I have owned both. I prefer the Garmin as I find the operation of it to be more user-friendly.

4. Re: Garmin Vs. Raymarine

I have owned Garmin for years and have used lots of Ray stuff and while I like the Ray radar sets you couldn't GIVE me their plotters.

I vote for the Garmin.

BTW, I have the sounder + XM Weather/Radio and plotter system in my little boat. It rocks.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

I have the new Garmin touch screen and love it.
    It is very user friendly. In fact, it is idiot friendly.
    It's almost fun to work with. Very easy set up and
    installation.
    Mike

Garmin if not just for thier customer service, great people to work with if you have any problems with the unit .............................Pat

I have the Garmin 4212 with the 4kw radar and sonar. Best all around unit I have ever owned. Product support is excellent. In the process of installing the fuel flow management and the technical service people have been a great help.

Ron

I have owned both in the past and Garmin is the most user friendly by far. Raymarine is absolutely difficult to navigate because it was probably designed by non-boating engineers. Unfortunaely, I'm stuck with Raymarine now.
    Skip
    Mad Hatteras
    53 MY

I drink because of Navy football

All Garmin products are always easy to use, they have that down to a tee....
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

I've got a RM C70 (Chart plotter and FF), a RM C120 (Chart Plotter and radar), and a Garmin 182C.

The clarity of the Navionics chart chips on both the C120 and C70 are great, but when it comes time to plotting routes and adding waypoints its Garmin all the way.

I've got all 3 snyched up so a route I input on the Garmin shows on the RM's.

I bought the Garmin when I first got the boat and the old radar and FF were working. When I added the hardtop a few years later Garmin did not yet have a radar and I did not want to put a 20 year old bath tub sized dome on a brand new hard top so I got a brand new 2kw RM dome with the C70. It was the best color radar I could get for the money.

A couple of years later I got a great deal on a one year old C120 (love the 12 inch screen for both radar and viewing charts). Last year when the old furuno ff crapped out I decided to bring the C70 out of early retirement and got the DSM30 with a b60 tilted element TD. Nice FF.

If I was buying all new from scratch I'd go with Garmin all the way.

I still think RM makes a better radar than garmin, but the CP is much better/easier to use on the Garmin.

Finally, while I've never had to use RM service (knock on wood), Garmin's service (screen coating) was perfect. As a final note, Garmin's are much easier to update the software on than the RM's. I'd bought the data cable/power cord for the Garmin so I could plot routes at home. This makes software updates a snap as you just plu the cord into both the GPS and your computer and then download the updates from the website.

For the RM you need a card reader/writer and there is no power adapter available to take the unit home.
    Last edited by dougl33; 07-16-2008 at 11:52 AM.
    Regards,

Doug L.