Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. PC Navigation Software

I suppose this is Sand Bar material since it's not Hatteras specific, but I'm looking for advice on navigation software.

Now that a laptop is along for the ride when I head out, I figure I may as well put it to use for other things than keeping up with all you yahoos. I carry a total of three GPS units on Freebird. A Garmin 2010 Chartplotter with pre-loaded charts, a second Garmin GPS with mapping capabilities which uses the no longer to be found G chips, and a Magellan handheld for just in case.

I still haven't read the manual that came with the 2010, so I don't know how it would work in conjunction with a laptop. I would still like to have stand alone charting capabilities with the laptop though. It would come in handy for using on other boats like Nancy Cay or the GuzCruzer in case GuzBoy's Raymarine loses more than his waypoints!

Please help this computer illiterate hillbilly find some good software.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

Re: PC Navigation Software

Maptech Charts with FUGAWI software is a good start. You would need to get an external GPS antenna for your laptop show it could show real time movement. There is also a program called MaxSea that intigrates well into Furuno Navnet electronics and can be a full function network display.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    1984 38 Topaz Express "Aranmore"
    Broker, United Yacht Sales
    Visit My Website

3. Re: PC Navigation Software

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Asset
    Maptech Charts with FUGAWI software is a good start.
    Thanks for the info, but I would like to stick with "made in the USA" software instead of that FUGAWI stuff.

Just kidding, I forgot you were a computer whizzer. I know I'm not supposed to do this, but do you have that same software on your PC? Can I pirate it?
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com

No, Stop being cheap and go buy an updated version so I can pirate it from you.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    1984 38 Topaz Express "Aranmore"
    Broker, United Yacht Sales
    Visit My Website

Randy,
    We have used a Laptop for navigation for several years. We are currently using the Captain program but it is an older program and we are looking at updating. There are a number of programs available and they have different features such as how to save waypoints and the availability of bathymetric charts. You need to look at the different programs and see which features work the best for you. It is great for pre trip planning. Free charts!!
    That being said I can honestly say that we really like the laptop approach. The availability of the larger screen is a great feature. You could also mount a P C on the boat and use that as well. We have the laptop hooked up to a cheap Garmin handheld and it works fine. You can buy an adapter cord and that will allow you to hook up the handheld to the laptop and to a 12v power supply so you aren.t using the handheld's batteries.
    Another feature we really like is that you can save waypoints on both the laptop and the GPS at the same time. ( Redundancy in case either unit goes toes up )
    Fred

BIRDman, you sure your 2010 doesn't have Bluechart chip capability? I thought they all did. That's hands-down your best option...it'll give you chart detail right on your plotter screen. Each chip will ding you about $130, but they cover a pretty wide area with good detail.
    -- Paul

I too use the Captain software it is a older version but it still works have to load it differently for it too work with XP. They told me it won't work with XP and I had to buy a newer version But I got it to work guess I know more then them .
    But I like this approach I have a separate computor on board with a laptop as backup. I also have it at home and work so you can always do planning and just plan old dreaming instead of WORK . It does work well for making Routes during down time so when you get to the boat you just GO. Also you can now get all the charts online FREE.... I have been downloading them and have from Canada to Texas and even got Lake Tahoe just because I wanted to look at it .
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

8. Re: PC Navigation Software

Hey, thanks everybody for the input. I really don't know much about computering and stuff.

I know my 2010 has a place to plug chips into, but I never knew why as it is preloaded with charts of the entire free world. I reckon it's time to sit down and read the owner's manual to see what all this thing is capable of.

I have a military grade Itronix laptop with a couple of navigation software packages on it connected to a gps "mouse" so I can pre-plan at home and follow it along onboard. I have not connected it to my garmin mounted on the boat, but I know I can and run them together. The only issue is that daylight viewing is very challenging with the laptop.

I still have two little Garmin GPSMap units that are always right on! I'm thinking of upgrading the one on the bridge to a Garmin 2210.

Let's see....we're on the Sandbar, so I don't have to say Hatt, right?

K

10. Re: PC Navigation Software

Quote Originally Posted by Capt K
    I have a military grade Itronix laptop with a couple of navigation software packages on it connected to a gps "mouse" so I can pre-plan at home and follow it along onboard. I have not connected it to my garmin mounted on the boat, but I know I can and run them together. The only issue is that daylight viewing is very challenging with the laptop.

I still have two little Garmin GPSMap units that are always right on! I'm thinking of upgrading the one on the bridge to a Garmin 2210.

Let's see....we're on the Sandbar, so I don't have to say Hatt, right?

K
    Hatt back at ya! We ain't got to say that ship on here. It's the bar!

Military grade? I made a 4-F, is that good?

I would like the flexibility of trip planning off the boat using my PC as well. My 2010 is up on the bridge, but I plan to purchase another mount and maybe a second antennae to be able to use it in the pilothouse as well.

Maybe once I get everything wired and downloaded, I can use the laptop in the pilothouse.