Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Viking 44 MY: Thoughts please

My son wants to move up to a 44 Viking MY from a 37' Silverton. Does anyone have any thoughts on these boats? Not a Hatteras of course, but seem well built from what I can see.

Also they typically have DD 671TIB's. What's the life expectancy when pushing a 40,000 pound boat?

Thanks,
    Bob
    Chateau de Mer
    1981 Series I MY

PS, if anyone knows of a good 44 for sale, please let me know.

2. Re: Viking 44 MY: Thoughts please

Vikings are very decent popular boats and have a good balance, I think, between hull weight/strength/weight and speed....I'd say about like posts...

The life expectancy of high HP 71 series is limited when they are run hard, just fine when output HP/RPM at normal cruise is reasonable...

Ask the owner what speed and rpm they were normally run....

I'd check David Pascoe's website and see what he sez for tips...see what generic issues they may have....

Great time to be buying, don't be afraid to make a low offer especially if the boat has been on market a while....
    Last edited by REBrueckner; 11-02-2008 at 08:12 AM.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Re: Viking 44 MY: Thoughts please

make sure all the stringers are sound. Viking used plywood wrapped in fiberglass for the stringers. Unfortunately, they didn't glass over the limber holes through the stringers. Over time the core rots completely and the fiberglas is not enough to give the structural support you need. I've seen this on a lot of 80's-early 90's Vikings. You can usually tell by seeing if there is any sagging were the steel I beams for the engines attach to the stringers. If they are wet or rotted forget the boat. A friend of mine found this on his '90 48SF. Turned out every stringer was shot. When he cut open the ER stringers, the core looked like tobacco. The only way to properly fix it was to cut each stringer open, replace the core and reglass. The big problem is you can't tell whats going on under the cabin sole without ripping out the whole interior. He got several quotes for 300K plus to do the job and all were just estimates until the entire interior was removed!
    Jack Sardina

Thanks guys.

I now remember hearing about the stringer issues sometime ago. How about bulkheads?

Bob

Where will he be using it? The 44 is a flat bottomed rough riding creature that loves to stay at the dock. If he is a real boater I'd look elsewhere.

garyd
    Have Fun Boating

Yes, the stringers definitely had issues on the 80's era boats. I also think the styling is dated as well at this point, it's not holding up the test of time well at all, even their sportfisherman are starting to look a bit dated...

485 HP TIBs....I would stay away. They need to be perfectly maintained. My dockmate keeps on top of his and they still get hot pushing a much lighter boat.

Why not steer him to a 43 DC?
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

I have always liked the Viking 44my. The 44 is a much faster boat than the Hat 43 MY. That is not to say it is better in any way but it is a faster boat.

Like the 43MY (Series II - I think that is the proper series) the 44 has a nice floor plan - good aft deck, only a couple of steps up to the flybridge (no ladder) good salon, great dinet (if you get that model) and nice aft stateroom.

The 671TIB's are juiced up but like any engine, don't run the snot out of them, keep the oil & fuel clean and fresh, and make sure the cooling system is top notch shape.

I was always under the impression that the 44 offered a "good" ride per several friends who owned the 44 on the great lakes.

Sounds like there are some areas to watch out for (stringers) but I like the late model 44my's(1989/1990) as they have a bit of a higher line interior and some great features like cablemasters and such.

Shoot me for saying this on a Hat Forum but... The 44 Viking MY has a lot to offer - IMHO ;-)

It is definitely a faster boat, but as you can tell, I'm not a fan of 6-71 TIBs.

I looked at Viking 44s prior to buying my 43 MY. The Viking is 1 foot wider which makes the interior much more spacious, but at the sacrifice of some sea keeping ability (the length to beam thing).

Also, I talked to several owners that got tired of the "step up" from the foredeck to the aftdeck. That is necessary because the MY was built on a 44 sportfish hull.

Definitely a nice boat, but I think overpriced from what's on Yachtworld right now. There are some fine 43 DCs out there for half the price.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

Quality differences aside (and they are many), I'd still buy a similar sized Hatteras instead. You just get so much more in the way of factory support and parts availability that you'd be crazy to opt for the Viking.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI