Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vacuflush issue

Vacuflush issue

Damn, fixing this plumbing is a pain. Okay, since i got the floor in (rasied 1 1/2" or so total) and did the required maintenance on the head itself, the breaker on the panel has been popping. Finally tightened the clamp I used the night I installed it. (that was a fun project at 2 am... woke the wife up when I first flushed LOL). Since then the breaker has been "popping" while building up vacuum pressure. Have the duckbills to do next, but any ideas as to why the breaker keeps going POP?

Noel
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ

Re: Vacuflush issue

You sure you have a discharge open? If the pump has no where to pump to, it will pop the breaker.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

yes, the holding tank was full. So pumped out, then switched to straight over for a water flush, same problem.

Will need to tighten all the clamps now i guess when I get back... Unless there are more ideas to try.
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ

Do you know if the vacuum switch is working? If it doesn't shut off the pump, the pump just keeps pumping and will draw lots of current until the breaker pops.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

Okay, here we go, flush.... pumps, breaker pops, hit breaker, pops, hit breaker, pops, after awhile it stops and is okay for a bit, then pump cycles and we go again or flush.

How do I check the vacuum switch? easier than climbing over a hot diesel heater

Noel
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ

Noel, open up the diaphram pump. It may have some paper stuck around the bellows. I had that happen years ago and it blew the pump motor (before we put in line fuses and breakers).

It's a few screws to loosen up but not a bad job,otherwise.

K

Quote Originally Posted by nyrussell View Post
    Okay, here we go, flush.... pumps, breaker pops, hit breaker, pops, hit breaker, pops, after awhile it stops and is okay for a bit, then pump cycles and we go again or flush.

How old is the system? After 6 years of liveaboard use, my hose between the pump and holding tank became restricted by buildup at a low spot. Didn't take much to block it and cause the pump to blow a fuse. Took me awhile to find it because I didn't suspect a blockage AFTER the pump...

Just another possibility, FWIW

Good luck....

Quote Originally Posted by Capt K View Post
    Noel, open up the diaphram pump. It may have some paper stuck around the bellows. I had that happen years ago and it blew the pump motor (before we put in line fuses and breakers).

It's a few screws to loosen up but not a bad job,otherwise.

K
    Wooo! Hold on there a minute. Can you disconnect the electric motor's crank arm and then see if the bellows will go in and out freely (manually) before you go disconnecting that messy s--t.

Also, inspect the motor and switch's's wiring and connections. You may have a worn out connection causing low voltage to the motor.
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Might you have a bad breaker? When they get old, particularly after they have tripped a few times, they often fail to hold the rated load.
    Will

Noel,

I agree with Will. The first thing I would check is the breaker. My boat has had a couple of breakers go bad and the symptoms were much like what you are having. It's worth a try and if it is in fact a bad breaker, Sams has all the Hatteras breakers in stock. I don't know where else to get them although I'm sure they are probably available - I doubt that Hatteras makes their own.

Walt