Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 45C with 6V92's

45C with 6V92's

I'm looking hard at an 89 45C with 535 HP 6V92TA's. Is this enough power? Can anyone give me real fuel consumption figures?

Also interested in any comments/issues/thoughts a current owner of one of these might have.

2. Re: 45C with 6V92's

20ish knot cruise, ~25 in the corner light. 36-40gph at cruise, 0.9nmpg at ~9-10 kts at 1100ish RPM.

I owned an 85 with this power and set up this way (I reinjectored for 535) and liked it a lot. Nice boat; there were differences between 85 and this year, but they're not all that significant, other than not having forward windows (which many people think is a blessing rather than a curse)

If you're looking for a screamer this is not the boat for that; they're not fast by today's standards. For that you need to find someone who dropped a set of 660 QSMs in the hole - with that power these vessels FLY.

I loved mine.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Re: 45C with 6V92's

Genesis:

Thanks for the info. I'm a new guy looking to break into the big boat world. (Wife and I are opting for the boat instead of the Cape house.) Been boating in NE for 30 years and own a beautiful 1979 23 formula and a 17 whaler (both will stay with us), but even if you add the two together I've only run a 40 footer. That said we leased a 46 Powercat in BVI last year and a buddy of mine just picked up a 40 Ocean I can practice with. Regardless, I know I have my work cut out for me.

I like solid and seaworthy. That's what brought me to the 45 Hatt. (Budget is $200-$250K.) I'm not looking for speed and I'm good with 20 kts. As with many folks now, I plan to cruise at 10 kts as much as possible and can't ask for much less than a gallon per mile to move a 45 ft house across the water. Do they like to run at that speed or will I always feel the need to push it up?

I read a great review on the 45 by Dave Pascoe. He did say though that they tend to be loud. I don't like loud. Did you notice a noise problem?

Any experience and info you can offer on this boat is greatly appreciated.

i know of a 61MY 1985 or so for about 185 give me a call and I can tell you more about it.
    Roger Wetherington
    252-670-4819 rwetheringt@centurylink.net
    Sam's Marine
    www.samsmarine.com

5. Re: 45C with 6V92's

Spanky, the engines ARE loud compared to today's stuff, but I don't consider it bad, and at 9-10kts they're not loud at all.

The boat runs great at that speed, although it IS a planing hull and rolls more at lower speeds due to the hull shape, but I ran mine at lower speeds with some regularity.

A 45 footer runs VERY differently than a mid-20-footer. Its literally an order of magnitude more boat in terms of mass.

They are extremely seaworthy boats with exceptional seakeeping; in that size range and budget there isn't anything I'd rather own, which has a lot to do with why I owned one!

Quote Originally Posted by rwetherington View Post
    i know of a 61MY 1985 or so for about 185 give me a call and I can tell you more about it.
    Holy Cow...now that would be a livaboard! Salt water boat?
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

We've got a 61'MY and yes there is an awfull lot of interior space. I think I know the boat he's talking about I believe it's in Georgia. A few years ago you couldn't touch a 61 for under 350K what a great time to buy!!!

Brian

Thanks for the input guys. It sure is a great time to buy. But I'm pushing it going from a 23 to a 45 as it is and couldn't afford to move a 61 footer around much.

If anyone else has experience with a 45C I'd love to hear your thoughts. In particular if there's anything to watch out for or features that are must haves.

Spanky

9. Re: 45C with 6V92's

Check the rear bulkhead if the door is in the sliding configuration, and the floor near the rear bulkhead for evidence of rot. Common problem due to water trapping and not hard to fix, but good for negotiation. Sound the bottom of the door ITSELF as well on these tracked configurations. Again, not difficult to correct but something to know about up front.

Check VERY CAREFULLY around the windlass up forward for core damage. Do it from inside the chain locker and be METICULOUS; if there is ANY question pull at least one Windlass mounting bolt and probe the holes to insure the core is dry and UNDAMAGED. This problem is very difficult to detect because the pulpit covers the deck right near the Windlass and the backing plate covers the deck inside the chain locker. If you get bit by this (I did, and I DID check before I bought) its a god-awful job to correct the problem and if you pay someone else to do it you better bring a lot of money - the yard monkeys KNOW how nasty of a job this is and charge accordingly. A LOT of Hatts had/have improperly bedded pulpits/windlass hardware. This is an issue that, if you find it, must result in a VERY SERIOUS reduction in price (a yard will charge upwards of $10k to fix this, so its NOT a trivial problem, although when I did mine the cost was a few hundred dollars - and several days in a Tyvek moon suit, breathing through a scuba regulator both cutting away the bad from the inside and relaminating the damaged area! I wouldn't wish this job on my worst enemy.) If this problem is detected it CANNOT be left alone - it both will eventually destroy the entire foredeck core and that portion of the deck is an extremely important structural area of the vessel if you ever get caught out and have to anchor in a blow (you don't use the windlass as a cleat, but even when used as a fairlead to a cleat the loads are insane under storm conditions) this part of the foredeck MUST HOLD.

Look at the "30 second Compression Test" thread here for a quick handle on engine condition BEFORE you write an offer or order up surveys. If you've got questions about engine condition you want to approach this differently than is commonplace, because bad engines either lead to renegotiation of the price or a blown deal, and if you're going there you want to know before you spend on a hull survey.

Look around for evidence of "rats nest" wiring changes. The OEM wiring is excellent both in design and quality. What other people add frequently isn't. Expect to rip out and redo anything done "nasty".

There should be an owners package on board with graving plans and full schematics for the electrical. If there isn't Hatteras still (as of last time I checked) can supply you with one for a reasonable price given the hull number. I consider that package essential and you will too the first time you want to trace out some electrical issue.

The general design and construction of these boats is exemplary; a lot of places you frequently find trouble (e.g. engine beds, etc) on other makes almost never is the case with a Hatteras, even if its seen fairly extreme conditions. They're tough boats, built right, and generally speaking there aren't many areas on them that cause trouble. I can't think of much I would have changed on mine given the constraints (size, available space to install systems, etc) that are inherent in a vessel of that configuration and size.

Spanky,

I can't add anything except exclamation points to what Genesis said. We have a 1985 45C "Hat Time" w/ 535hp 692's and it is an amazing machine. My boat before this was a 19'6" Aquasport and while the learning curve was steep, if you have the interest, you will be well rewarded.

Ours is a fishing boat from top to bottom. We compete in sailfish tournaments in South Florida with a 23 year old Hatteras against some of the best teams out there and we have had some good days, mainly attributable to this amazing vessel. In the last Yamaha Contender Miami Billfish Tournament we were first place amateur boat and ninth place overall, year before 2nd place amateur, year before 2nd largest kingfish etc.

Now for some people, fishing isn't everything and while I can't understand that, my example of using this boat for tournament fishing means that it could do pretty much whatever you ask it to do, IMHO. I am happy to share any info but Genesis is "the Man" on this particular model. Good Luck !

Greg
    1985 45C
    Hat Time
    Miami Beach