Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: 45C with 6V92's

1. Re: 45C with 6V92's

The 46HP is an interesting boat; beware as I know of at least one that was sunk from the storms around here a few years ago, and I have absolutely no idea what happened to it after they pulled the engines - they were full of salt water up to the tops of the aftercoolers.

There aren't many of them, and they are a completely different animal than the 45C. As noted they were only made for a couple of years during the 80s. They had significantly more fuel capacity (1000 gals .vs. ~600ish) which was one of the issues with the standard power in the 45s - fuel range at cruise.

I have no problem with the 8s so long as the exhaust bracing is taken care of. The OEM design sucked they had a habit of breaking the seals on the exhaust side of the turbo, which led to exhaust leaks. Exhaust leaks are DEATH to diesel engines and must be avoided. That's the only issue I'm aware of with the 8s and its correctable - wise owners already corrected it a long time ago.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Re: 45C with 6V92's

Last year I went thru a similar search and looked at Hatts, Berts and Vikings from 41 to 48 feet with a total budget of 300k. I'm in North Carolina and looked at examples from Maryland to Florida.

I chose a 1986 45 Hatt that had been repowered with QSM 11 535hp. Her longtime owner had rebuild the 692's once and when they were ready for another he went for a repower and refit. The work was done by Sonny Middleton at Dog River Marine in 2001/2002.

I can not tell you how happy I have been with my choice. Performance wise I have a 25/26 knot cruise burning 36 gph - top at 30/31 burning 52 gph. My run to the Gulfstream from Wrightsville Beach is about 65 miles - for a full 15 hour day we seem to always burn about 200 gal's and we are running as fast as the conditions will allow.

The QSM11 535hp engines are supposed to be 10,000 hours before rebuild. No smoke and a vastly quieter than the DD's. When I first bought the boat I thought that I wanted the 660hp engines and looked into the upgrade - the cost was $5000 per - and involved injectors, turbos and computer programing. I'm glad that I stayed at 535 as I couldn't actually use the extra speed and don't want to burn any more fuel.

If I had to do it all over again, I would do it exactly the same. I'm coming up on one year of ownership and have absolutely no remorse. We fished almost every NC Marlin Tournament plus a month up at Oregon Inlet and plan on the same for 2009.

Good luck in your search!!!

Quote Originally Posted by st.tully View Post
    Last year I went thru a similar search and looked at Hatts, Berts and Vikings from 41 to 48 feet with a total budget of 300k. I'm in North Carolina and looked at examples from Maryland to Florida.

I chose a 1986 45 Hatt that had been repowered with QSM 11 535hp. Her longtime owner had rebuild the 692's once and when they were ready for another he went for a repower and refit. The work was done by Sonny Middleton at Dog River Marine in 2001/2002.

I can not tell you how happy I have been with my choice. Performance wise I have a 25/26 knot cruise burning 36 gph - top at 30/31 burning 52 gph. My run to the Gulfstream from Wrightsville Beach is about 65 miles - for a full 15 hour day we seem to always burn about 200 gal's and we are running as fast as the conditions will allow.

The QSM11 535hp engines are supposed to be 10,000 hours before rebuild. No smoke and a vastly quieter than the DD's. When I first bought the boat I thought that I wanted the 660hp engines and looked into the upgrade - the cost was $5000 per - and involved injectors, turbos and computer programing. I'm glad that I stayed at 535 as I couldn't actually use the extra speed and don't want to burn any more fuel.

If I had to do it all over again, I would do it exactly the same. I'm coming up on one year of ownership and have absolutely no remorse. We fished almost every NC Marlin Tournament plus a month up at Oregon Inlet and plan on the same for 2009.

Good luck in your search!!!

Thanks Tully. I continue to be amazed at the information that comes through this forum. Much appreciated.

I have a 1989 45 and could not be happier with it. I burn about 38gals per hr at a 19-20kt cruise as this model yr had the 535hp 692s. Mine does have a walk around queen in the master stateroom and has two heads as well. We do a lot of cruising and the layout works perfectly for us. The salon a/c unit is in the overhead although in Fla weather it doesnt do the job so we added and additional 16k btu in the salon which takes care of that problem. The 1988 and later models have a slightly different interior layout than previous years which gives you the two heads and walk around queen. Engine room outboard access is a bit of a problem. 8kw gen seems to provide plenty of juice for our needs and sips fuel. Overall ride is excellent and has easy motion when anchored. Handling around the dock is outstanding in my opinion, but it does draw 4 1/2 feet. Large bridge with plenty of seating and a great sized cockpit. This later model should have the hinged salon door instead of a slider. You wouldnt go wrong with this model. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by worldsaway View Post
    I have a 1989 45 and could not be happier with it. I burn about 38gals per hr at a 19-20kt cruise as this model yr had the 535hp 692s. Mine does have a walk around queen in the master stateroom and has two heads as well. We do a lot of cruising and the layout works perfectly for us. The salon a/c unit is in the overhead although in Fla weather it doesnt do the job so we added and additional 16k btu in the salon which takes care of that problem. The 1988 and later models have a slightly different interior layout than previous years which gives you the two heads and walk around queen. Engine room outboard access is a bit of a problem. 8kw gen seems to provide plenty of juice for our needs and sips fuel. Overall ride is excellent and has easy motion when anchored. Handling around the dock is outstanding in my opinion, but it does draw 4 1/2 feet. Large bridge with plenty of seating and a great sized cockpit. This later model should have the hinged salon door instead of a slider. You wouldnt go wrong with this model. Good luck.

Thanks for responding. Seems I can't find anyone with a bad thing to say about this boat, which is a great thing. I'm hearing you can run at 10Kts for around a gallon per mile. Is this your experience? Of course diesel at the dock was $2.99 yesterday!!! I may be less worried about going slow if that keeps up.

For me 8.5-9.5kts seems to be the most comfortable and yes the fuel consumption at that speed is around that 1nm mark. When I get to abt 10kts it seems like it wants to start to plow a little bit. Remember the later model 45's had a larger reduction gear than the earlier models and 4 blade props.

Talking Re: 45C with 6V92's

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky's Gang View Post
    George:

That is SWEET!!!.....and you're in my favaorite spot too!!

(Sellin?)

Spanky
    Boats are always for sale for the right price can you name that spot?

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Boats are always for sale for the right price can you name that spot?

Amen it that!!! I check yachtworld everyday for my next boat - everything is for sale!!