Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 45C with 6V92's

Re: 45C with 6V92's

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    This is something else to conside, look at a series 2 46C HP. It is about the same money as a 45 and has it all over the 45. The 46 has 8V92s and will easily cruise at 22 to 23 kts top out at 29+ compared to the 23 kt on the 45.. The 45 is a 18kt boat. The 46 has 2 headsto the 45s one. 46 has 3 A/C units to the 45s 2 units. The 46 has the salon AC in the overhead compared to the 45s A/C being at floor level and blowing from a cabinet behind the couch. The 46 has a 15kw gen to the 45s 8kw gen.
    The 46 has an island queen to the 45s V bunks.The 46 has 21/2" shafts to the 45s 2" shafts. The 46 has huge rudders from a 61my to the 45s small rudders. The 46 had centerline fuel tanks to the 45s saddle tanks. The 46 has a 24 volt start system to the 45s 12volt start system. The 46 has 3 chargers to the 45s single charger. The 46 has a Galley Maid water pump to the 45s little Par pump.
    Everything on the 46 is accessable for service and I can sit outboard of my engines. The 45 engine room is tight and many things are a real PITA to get to and involve moving the couch and opening the hatch. With the 46s centerline tanks, everything under the aft deck can be serviced in cluding the mufflers and exhaust. the mufflers on the 45 are almost impossible. Also the water heater is under the aft deck on the 46 and it is outboard of the port engine on the 45. The 46 has a massive engine bed compared to the standard bed on the 45. etc..... I have a friend who bought a nice 45C because he was worried about the fuel burn on the 8V92s. He really wishes he bought the 46 now.
    Hey Capt:

Thanks for the info.

I've shyed away from the 46 because I've heard horror stories about some of the older 46 hulls and the 892's. Pretty knowledgable guy up here south of Boston has owned about 5 Hatts, calls them 892-may-pops.

I'm right on the edge of the $ curve too. If I go to 46 and over 50 GPH I think I'll fall off.

Spanky

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
    If you see one in the general area of Destin (Pensacola to Panama City) you want me to go take a look at give me a holler - I'd be happy to do that before you spend the time and money to show up here so you know its not a total pig in a poke.
    Genesis:

Thank you for the very generous offer. I may take you up on it as I get further into this. There are two or three for sale right now in Destin.

I'll be in Stuart next month. We'll be looking at a couple in that area. One or two up here in CT as well.

And thanks again for your earlier thoughts. Great stuff.

I'll be in touch.

Spanky

If it is still available check out Paul's 45C " 101" It is excellent.
    He sold it about three months back. Thanks for the lead though.

Spanky

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    They are terrific boats. One of the nicest Hatteras Yachts I have ever seen is Lonnie's "Green Eyed Girl", a Series 2 45C which was repowered with M11s at Jarrett Bay. Great layout, great looking boat, and from everything I've ever heard a rocket- 34 kts plus. That's forty miles an hour- how fast does anyone need to go? If I were starting out now looking for a Hatteras SF, I would look no further than the right one of those.
    Unlikely we could afford one with new engines, but good to know we could repower at 40 MPH some day!

Thanks

Anyone who says the 6v92 TTA engines are better is misinformed. Ask any DD mechanic. The only 8v92s that had issues were the JT 750 hp versions or the S&S back to back turbo models. I have been working on these things for 25+ years.
    The 45 will burn about 37 GPH @ 18 kts. I burn 42 GPH@ 21 kts and 1800 rpm. at 2000 rpm I burn 50gph @ 23 to 24 kts.

PS I am only referring to the 82 to 84 46HP models. Yes there have been some older 46s that were repowered that had issues. The 46 series2 is a completely different animal and was completely redesigned from the series1.
    Last edited by captddis; 10-25-2008 at 11:04 AM.

Anyone who says the 6v92 TTA engines are better is misinformed. Ask any DD mechanic. The only 8v92s that had issues were the JT 750 hp versions or the S&S back to back turbo models. I have been working on these things for 25+ years.
    The 45 will burn about 37 GPH @ 18 kts. I burn 42 GPH@ 21 kts and 1800 rpm. at 2000 rpm I burn 50gph @ 23 to 24 kts.

PS I am only referring to the 82 to 84 46HP models. Yes there have been some older 46s that were repowered that had issues. The 46 series2 is a completely different animal and was completely redesigned from the series1.
    Thanks Capt. Looks like I have more research to do. There's a '93 46 that I was on up here with 892's going cheap. Guy ran it aground though. Never know quite what to expect there. I wonder if I should revisit it?

Spanky

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky's Gang View Post
    Thanks Capt. Looks like I have more research to do. There's a '93 46 that I was on up here with 892's going cheap. Guy ran it aground though. Never know quite what to expect there. I wonder if I should revisit it?

Spanky

The 93 is nice but if you are worried about fuel it is not the one for you, it is a 70 gph boat. Again the 45c is a great boat with no issues, but from my perspective the 46HP is the better choice and is about the same$$.

In 1984 the 45c and the 46C HP were both offered, the 46C had a base price that was 100.000 more than the 45C. Not many were willing to pay the price difference and the 46 was discontinued. Now they cost the same.

The 93 is nice but if you are worried about fuel it is not the one for you, it is a 70 gph boat. Again the 45c is a great boat with no issues, but from my perspective the 46HP is the better choice and is about the same$$.

In 1984 the 45c and the 46C HP were both offered, the 46C had a base price that was 100.000 more than the 45C. Not many were willing to pay the price difference and the 46 was discontinued. Now they cost the same.
    Haven't looked much at the 46's beyond that '93. I'd like to be up in the late 80's. What years were the 46C HP's made, do you see a good example of one on YW?

the hp 46 was only made from 82 to 84. On YW look at Hideaweigh St Pete or Filene in MD. I know both boats and can PM details. The owner of Hideaweigh WANTS it sold! It will go cheap.

the hp 46 was only made from 82 to 84. On YW look at Hideaweigh St Pete or Filene in MD. I know both boats and can PM details. The owner of Hideaweigh WANTS it sold! It will go cheap.
    Thanks Capt. Hideaway looks interesting, just called on the Filene...waiting for photos.