Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 45C with 6V92's

Re: 45C with 6V92's

They are terrific boats. One of the nicest Hatteras Yachts I have ever seen is Lonnie's "Green Eyed Girl", a Series 2 45C which was repowered with M11s at Jarrett Bay. Great layout, great looking boat, and from everything I've ever heard a rocket- 34 kts plus. That's forty miles an hour- how fast does anyone need to go? If I were starting out now looking for a Hatteras SF, I would look no further than the right one of those.

Smile Re: 45C with 6V92's

Genesis/Greg/Jim:

Outstanding information guys! I can't thank you enough. I started this search a year or so back looking at the 46 Bertram, then 45 Viking and after some significant research settled in on the 45 Hatt. You're making me feel very good about that decision.

And to hear from someone who went there from a 20 footer as well was great. I'm expecting a few days or more practice early season in an empty harbor to hopefully keep the dock damage down.

If you know of a good one out there, please let me know. I'm all over Yachtworld (damn addiction it is!). I'm looking at three in FL next month.

Thanks again and if you have any more thoughts please spam away!

Joe (Spanky)

3. Re: 45C with 6V92's

If you see one in the general area of Destin (Pensacola to Panama City) you want me to go take a look at give me a holler - I'd be happy to do that before you spend the time and money to show up here so you know its not a total pig in a poke.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

If it is still available check out Paul's 45C " 101" It is excellent.

45' Hatteras ROCKS
    Attached Images

Spanky,
    I was in a similar situation (and also live in Boston area) moving up form a 33 express and checking out berts, vikings and hatts. I had done the research and decided that a 45 met my needs well but had real difficulty finding a boat up north and had a sale fall through in Fla. I have sea trilaed a number of 45s and have checked out all of the Northern boats that are on the market so would be happy to share with you my thoughts and the problem boats (i.e. run aground, mech issues, etc.) that I was able to identify and eliminate through my network.

I ended up buying a local 55 that was in great shape and we love her. Send me a PM if you would likke to speak or learn more.

Best,

TG

This is something else to conside, look at a series 2 46C HP. It is about the same money as a 45 and has it all over the 45. The 46 has 8V92s and will easily cruise at 22 to 23 kts top out at 29+ compared to the 23 kt on the 45.. The 45 is a 18kt boat. The 46 has 2 headsto the 45s one. 46 has 3 A/C units to the 45s 2 units. The 46 has the salon AC in the overhead compared to the 45s A/C being at floor level and blowing from a cabinet behind the couch. The 46 has a 15kw gen to the 45s 8kw gen.
    The 46 has an island queen to the 45s V bunks.The 46 has 21/2" shafts to the 45s 2" shafts. The 46 has huge rudders from a 61my to the 45s small rudders. The 46 had centerline fuel tanks to the 45s saddle tanks. The 46 has a 24 volt start system to the 45s 12volt start system. The 46 has 3 chargers to the 45s single charger. The 46 has a Galley Maid water pump to the 45s little Par pump.
    Everything on the 46 is accessable for service and I can sit outboard of my engines. The 45 engine room is tight and many things are a real PITA to get to and involve moving the couch and opening the hatch. With the 46s centerline tanks, everything under the aft deck can be serviced in cluding the mufflers and exhaust. the mufflers on the 45 are almost impossible. Also the water heater is under the aft deck on the 46 and it is outboard of the port engine on the 45. The 46 has a massive engine bed compared to the standard bed on the 45. etc..... I have a friend who bought a nice 45C because he was worried about the fuel burn on the 8V92s. He really wishes he bought the 46 now.
    Last edited by captddis; 10-25-2008 at 08:50 AM.

Doesn't the 46 draw over a foot and half more than a 45?
    "Mambeaux"
    1985 43MY

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    45' Hatteras ROCKS
    George:

That is SWEET!!!.....and you're in my favaorite spot too!!

(Sellin?)

Spanky

Quote Originally Posted by Mambeaux View Post
    Doesn't the 46 draw over a foot and half more than a 45?
    I'll bet Genesis knows. Ask him.