Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 45C with 6V92's

Hybrid View

45C with 6V92's

I'm looking hard at an 89 45C with 535 HP 6V92TA's. Is this enough power? Can anyone give me real fuel consumption figures?

Also interested in any comments/issues/thoughts a current owner of one of these might have.

2. Re: 45C with 6V92's

20ish knot cruise, ~25 in the corner light. 36-40gph at cruise, 0.9nmpg at ~9-10 kts at 1100ish RPM.

I owned an 85 with this power and set up this way (I reinjectored for 535) and liked it a lot. Nice boat; there were differences between 85 and this year, but they're not all that significant, other than not having forward windows (which many people think is a blessing rather than a curse)

If you're looking for a screamer this is not the boat for that; they're not fast by today's standards. For that you need to find someone who dropped a set of 660 QSMs in the hole - with that power these vessels FLY.

I loved mine.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Re: 45C with 6V92's

Genesis:

Thanks for the info. I'm a new guy looking to break into the big boat world. (Wife and I are opting for the boat instead of the Cape house.) Been boating in NE for 30 years and own a beautiful 1979 23 formula and a 17 whaler (both will stay with us), but even if you add the two together I've only run a 40 footer. That said we leased a 46 Powercat in BVI last year and a buddy of mine just picked up a 40 Ocean I can practice with. Regardless, I know I have my work cut out for me.

I like solid and seaworthy. That's what brought me to the 45 Hatt. (Budget is $200-$250K.) I'm not looking for speed and I'm good with 20 kts. As with many folks now, I plan to cruise at 10 kts as much as possible and can't ask for much less than a gallon per mile to move a 45 ft house across the water. Do they like to run at that speed or will I always feel the need to push it up?

I read a great review on the 45 by Dave Pascoe. He did say though that they tend to be loud. I don't like loud. Did you notice a noise problem?

Any experience and info you can offer on this boat is greatly appreciated.

i know of a 61MY 1985 or so for about 185 give me a call and I can tell you more about it.
    Roger Wetherington
    252-670-4819 rwetheringt@centurylink.net
    Sam's Marine
    www.samsmarine.com

5. Re: 45C with 6V92's

Spanky, the engines ARE loud compared to today's stuff, but I don't consider it bad, and at 9-10kts they're not loud at all.

The boat runs great at that speed, although it IS a planing hull and rolls more at lower speeds due to the hull shape, but I ran mine at lower speeds with some regularity.

A 45 footer runs VERY differently than a mid-20-footer. Its literally an order of magnitude more boat in terms of mass.

They are extremely seaworthy boats with exceptional seakeeping; in that size range and budget there isn't anything I'd rather own, which has a lot to do with why I owned one!
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Quote Originally Posted by rwetherington View Post
    i know of a 61MY 1985 or so for about 185 give me a call and I can tell you more about it.
    Holy Cow...now that would be a livaboard! Salt water boat?
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

We've got a 61'MY and yes there is an awfull lot of interior space. I think I know the boat he's talking about I believe it's in Georgia. A few years ago you couldn't touch a 61 for under 350K what a great time to buy!!!

Brian