Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Smile Need tourism help on way to the boat

Arriving NYC Nov 10 for a week then driving down to Ft LAuderdale to get the Hatteras ready, will be doing mostly coastal route, any ideas or suggestions on "must see" places.
    Many thanks.

Re: Need tourism help on way to the boat

I would do two things. Get off I 95 in Delaware and drive down to the Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel. You follow the US highway out once on the VA side and brings you up to Emporia Va. The bridge tunnel is very interesting. Make sure you stop at the gift shop on the island in middle and pick up a coffee mug, a great gift.

Once you cross over GA you should get off I 95 at Brunswick and go to St. Simons Island. Stay the King and Prince Hotel. A couple of days there is really wonderful.. this is a beautiful island. The next must stop is Fernandina Beach which is just over the Fla. Line. It is on Amelia Island. You can stay at the Ritz Carlton if you want to go posh. There are some great restaurants in the town of Fernandina Beach which is on the northern end of the island.

Cheers
    Spin

Re: Need tourism help on way to the boat

GOTTA SEE THE HATTERAS FACTORY at New Bern, NC! Call Steve McPhereson for Nancy Ray's phone number at Hatt - She'll get you a tour if it's possible. AWESOME!

Don't know what you like, but here are some of my favorites:

Near Colonial Beach, VA - See Stratford Hall Plantation - birthplace of Rorert E. Lee - Interesting plantation house with period interior, etc. but TOTALLY EXCELLENT (and not in guide books) collection f antique horse drawn carriages in the carriage house. Just sitting there - some of the best in the world.

Norfolk - of course you gott'a see the battleship Wisconsin - right downtown.

Stop in Washington DC if you haven't already been there lots. One of my favorite things in the world is the National Air & Space Museum on the Capital Mall. You could spend days there seeing the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, Lincoln Memorial, etc., etc.

Near Myrtle Beach - Stop and spend a day at Brookgreen Sculpture Gardens - This is a truly spectacular collection of very high quality sculptures, set in beautiful manicured gardens, old liveoak trees with Spanish moss and colonial plantation setting. All the sculptures are American sculptors and are "figurative" sculotures, which means no stylized or modern art, just sculptures that look like the real world.

See Cape Canaveral - Kennedy Space Center - Really impressive.

Doug