Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Winter storage

Winter storage

I leave my Hatt in the water year round (inside storage with radiant heat) My questions is; They keep the bldg around 55 degrees, Do I need to winterize anything? I didn't last year with no problems (knock on wood) I do go out and work on the boat at least once a week and will heat the boat up inside to about 70 with my electric heaters(while I'm there). I keep a bilge heater on all the time, Also, will running my reverse air/heat when the water gets around 35-40 degrees hurt anything? I was told you shouldn't run them. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Lenz
    Attached Images

Re: Winter storage

My boat stays in a covered slip year round also, but not a heated one. I work on the boat all winter and have used the heat from the Cruisairs many, many times while working on the boat. I don't know what the water temp is in the dead of winter, but it probably is around 45 degrees and the Cruisairs put out all the heat I need. My Cruisair manual says that the heat output is just lower with colder water, no damage warning.

I would think with your ambient temp, everything would be fine.

I blow out my FW system since it runs in cooler areas out of the engine room. For the engine room, my pumphouse heaters stay on all winter set at 55 degrees. Also, the polarity transformer for the boat stays pretty warm all year and helps to heat the engine room in the winter.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

I'm undercover in Seattle, but not in a building. Winter night temps occassionally get into the 20s but normally in the 30s. The only thing I do to winterize (other than changing oil, oil and fuel filters) is put on a couple electric heaters to keep the inside at 60 or so, and turn on the block heaters in the engine room to 55. I perhaps should do more, but it's worked for more than 15 years.
    Dick

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    I'm undercover in Seattle, but not in a building. Winter night temps occassionally get into the 20s but normally in the 30s. The only thing I do to winterize (other than changing oil, oil and fuel filters) is put on a couple electric heaters to keep the inside at 60 or so, and turn on the block heaters in the engine room to 55. I perhaps should do more, but it's worked for more than 15 years.
    Dick
    Seattle? I saw where Wolf Marine had a bad fire a year or so ago and they had a lot of woodies if I remember correctly. Do they still have all those liveaboard woodies out there?
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...