Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns on board

1. Guns on board

We like to anchor out a lot up here and usually we are alone. But from time to time during the night we have had small boats come by and sometimes circle us before going on.

Am getting a shotgun to have onboard. Have a .357 but if I were to shoot someone it would also pass thru muliple boats before stopping if we were at a marina or dock someplace.

Our local "Dicks Sporting Store" has a 12 guage pump with 18.5" barrel for $179. The local Gander Mountain store has a 20 guage pump with 18.5" barrel for the same price.

Admiral perfers the 20 guage "if we are to have one".

My question is, what size shot to buy. I want something that will put a person down now, but not go thru a bunch of other boats like my .357 would.

A lot of people around here have number 7 shot, saying in 95% of the time, you are less than 15' of someone on your boat.

I want the pump as it's a universal sound everyone understands, no matter if you speak ebonic,spanish or whatever....
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Re: Guns on board

First off, you will probably never have to use it. If you do, you will then most likely scare them off with the sound of racking in a load or by the sight of it. If that isn't enough, then it probably will make no difference what load you have in there. Any shot at close range will do the job on them without major harm to nearby property.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I believe the 870 Remington comes in an all stainless version with a plastic stock. I am not sure if all the parts are rustproof, but perhaps someone else here will know for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    I believe the 870 Remington comes in an all stainless version with a plastic stock. I am not sure if all the parts are rustproof, but perhaps someone else here will know for certain.
    It's not stainless. Both Mossberg and Remy make a "marina" and "marine" version...forget which is which though.

A 20gauge will blow a hole in somebody just as nice as a 12 LOL.

Remington makes a "Marine Magnum". It is made to stand up to the marine environment. It cost more but will last a lifetime.
    http://www.remington.com/products/fi...ine_magnum.asp
    "Mambeaux"
    1985 43MY

Forget the 20GA and go with the 12. This is not something you're going to shoot skeet or sporting clays with, so the bigger the better... more pellets.

As for shot size, that depends on what kind of range you want. You'll be severely limited with birdshot, but 00 buck will reach out and touch someone. Carry some 00 and maybe #2 or #4 shot for different situations. If you want to blast somebody in your own boat, use the #2 or #4. If you want to keep them from getting too close to your boat, load up the 00. For that matter, carry a few slugs for across the bow warning shots.

One other thing where your .357 is concerned. Load it with wadcutters and you won't have to worry about penetrating anything other than the bad guy.

Sparky1,
    If memory serves me correctly, you might have a good contact for a gun safe that you can keep on the boat too!
    Larry Kaplan
    Former Owner of
    1980 60' Sportfish

I would look at a heavier load like 3" Magnum 00 Buck. You are using lethal force so your shells need to be bust your ars lethal. A 20g will get the job done but in the case of a specific home defence gun I would want the 12ga. If 12ga recoil is the issue you could get the lower recoil shells. In our case I had a 45acp, 20ga, and a SKS on board. If I was looking for specific boat guns I would go with Stainless Winchester 1300 12ga pistol grip shotgun, a Stainless Ruger Mini 30 folding stock with 2 high capacity clips, a Stainless Springfield PX9151L 45 and a Kel Tec P-3AT 380.
    Last edited by thoward; 10-15-2008 at 03:16 PM.

9. Re: Guns on board

I fully expect to go with a 12 guage since in 99.999999% of the time I would be the one with it.....
    Like Sky said, in most cases just the sight and SOUND will chase the bad guy away.
    I just want the "cheapest" one as it will be in a case cept when we are anchored out or at a different marina.... And it gets cleaned and oiled several times a year.....
    We have twice had people come onboard at about 2AM when docked at different cities (once in St Augustine, the other at Fernandina Beach).... But they just wanted their friends to take their pictures on a boat...
    To say you could see "the whites of their eyes" when I came up with the .357 in my hand would be a major understatement....
    The difference between a hollow point bullet and a wadcutter is..... The noise of the real bullet is so much louder it will cause the bad guy to die from fright...... And the Admiral LIKES the .357
    But am also 100% convinced after she fires a 12 guage (with a light load) she would have no problem using it either....
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

I like the Mossberg Mariner; 12Ga for sure.

Based on advice from a very close friend who is a cop, he recommends NOT use the folding stock or pistol grip option on any "home defense" weapon. This sends a VERY bad sign to law enforcement re your intent and can lead to a lot more issues than you want to deal with. Based on his suggestion, I removed the pistol grip option on mine and went back to the standard stock.
    But do what you want.

You definitely want a stainless model regardless of the brand.