Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Re: Who won the debate??????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by spartonboat1 View Post
    Sky, I say not for nothing has Iran been testing missiles that go up and out about 50-100 miles, then poof. That is the technically appropriate apogee for lighting off a nuke for maximum impact from an EMP. They could easily launch from any commercial vessel off either of our coastlines and impact 80% of the SMSA's in the US. The entire NE corridor- lights out- might even affect the midwest. The West coast of CA, lights outs.

When this effect was discovered from nuclear tests in the 1950's-60's, it was powerful enough to "clamp" all 12v solenoids in Hawaii at very high amps on a Sunday morning. Set off all sorts of systems and alarms. Imagine our modern systems that run on millivolts and tiny amperages...magic smoke comes out of those electronics! They run on magic you know, and when the magic smoke comes out...no more good.

You are absolutely correct. But, unfortunately most everyone else is content to bury their heads in the sand and act like this threat does not exist. If an EMP were to take out our electric grid and our vehicles, we would have no refrigeration for food and no way to transport it. It would be like going back in time 200 years. How many Americans could survive under those conditions? Some of us in the rural areas could make it. We have deer and livestock and firewood, but the urban areas would be another story.

I guess most others look as us as some kind of "end-of-the-world kooks". I hope they are proved to be right. But I'd rather have some insurance policy like a missile defense system.

Why wasn't this a debate topic?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I have mechanical engines and generators. No worry about EMP there. If the SH&T hits the fan I am on the H2O fast.

No need to try to defend the house. The boat is smaller and easier to guard.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I have mechanical engines and generators. No worry about EMP there. If the SH&T hits the fan I am on the H2O fast.

No need to try to defend the house. The boat is smaller and easier to guard.
    Your mechanical engines may start, but there is are a bunch of circuitry in the genset that just might not make it. Imagine having your boat get struck my lightning. That is the type of damage an EMP can cause to anything electronic. Hopefully we'll never find out.

I just bring it up to point out the fact that if we don't have a proper defense for this country, all other issues are meaningless.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I agree. Do you think there is electronic circuitry on a 1972 Onan genset?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.