Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 54 ED Davit

54 ED Davit

looking at placing a 1600 davit on the rear of a 1989 54ED. Will I need a stand pipe thru the rear of the salon or could I get by with a short base unit?
    I was thinking the full length structure could handle it.
    Not many of these sold, so I am looking for any others of these around. This is hull#1 from the brochure.
    WaterWays

Re: 54 ED Davit

I have seen a 60MY with a davit that is just mounted to the hardtop with no standpipe. It lifted a 15' Whaler up there. I'm not sure of the rated capacity of the davit or the weight of the Whaler, but it must have been near 1000lbs.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I have a good friend with a beautiful 1985 53 ED. His davit was merely lagged to the hardtop, with no standpipe. He was lifting his RIB aboard back in July when the whole mess broke loose and crashed down onto the corner of the swim platform. Luckily, his wife had just gotten out from under where it fell. No one was hurt. It was one heckofa mess as the davit fell onto the RIB and messed it up too.

Not surprisingly, his new davit has a standpipe.

Eric's story tells it all! Put a full-length support through to the main deck! Remember there is substiantial side load as well as simply weight straight down.

Good luck with your 54 and welcome to the forum.

I believe your 1989 54 ED was at the Oct 88 Annapolis Power Boat show. We looked it over and were very impressed with the accomodations and decor. We wish you many pleasant times aboard her.

Walt

I will listen to the advise and do the right thing with the full stand pipe. Mabe I can have the wife maike it into a coat hanger or a potting pole, No, not strippers pole!!!
    Thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterWays View Post
    No, not strippers pole!!!
    Thank you all.

Why not?
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD