Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Convertible Question

Everyone,

We just sold a 53MY to a great couple and we are looking at Convertibles. I'm thinking 1990 - 2000 Hatteras Convertibles in the 39-46 size range. Any advise or comments? It seems that most of the post are about the more vintage Hatteras. How are the quality with the 1990-2000 vintages? Any thoughts as always are greatly appreciated. The boat will be used as a basic cruiser light fisher with overnighting hear or there on the Chesapeake Bay Summers Only.

I also apologize if this is the wrong place for this question but it seems on topic.

Thanks,

Jim

Re: Convertible Question

Based on what I have read here, and the opinions expressed by others who have owned them, I would look first at the 45 convertibles made by Hatteras from 1985 on up. I think these are called Series 2 45 convertibles. They have some advantages over the early 45 and 46 boats: they run drier, they are quite a lot faster, and the interior layout is much more modern and friendly. I have been on a few of them and I can tell you that even if I won the lottery and could afford anything I would not aspire to any more than one of these boats with a set of Cummins M11 diesels.

With those engines they are genuinely fast boats; they will do well over thirty knots at cruise. The quality seems quite good, and they have held up nicely in terms of looks and usability. Obviously the market has gone rather soft, but that means there are a lot of nice ones out there. I think they were a popular boat and many of them have been repowered with the engines noted above. The original fitment was 6v92s- possibly some had different engines but I am not certain. If this size boat would meet your needs this is the first model I would look at.

At least two boats owned by frequenters of this forum have been repowered with M11s and the owners seem very happy with them. I am reliably informed that one of those boats hit thirty-four knots on her sea trials and that the engine loading readouts showed she was using about 94% of her available power. There were still some revs left, in other words, at 34 knots. That is nearly forty miles an hour. You'd have to get one of those Tilley hats with the chin strap so it wouldn't blow off your head, with speed like that. Or a crash helmet.

3. Re: Convertible Question

I owned an 85 45C and loved it.

FABULOUS boat.

The only thing I would have changed is that I would have liked more power. M11s would definitely have done that; I was on one that had M11s in it and it was a rocket ship.

There are some of these boats that were configured with 8V92s instead of the 6Vs, and they were considerably faster. But the 8Vs made the engine room REALLY cramped; with the 6Vs service access is pretty good. The M11s are both smaller and lighter, which helps even more.

My view is that smaller loses too much interior volume and usable space. When you get into the 50s and bigger operating costs skyrocket.....
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

I own one, same year as Genesis had and concur it is a great boat. The boat carries 600 gallons of fuel but another 200 would have been great if you'r going to fish offshore or on any extended triip. I carried the extra fuel in what I consider a hugh insullated fish box that can can hold the 200 gallons.
    Al

I have a 91 50' 8v92 the comfort factor can't be be beat. plenty of engine room and good access. Previous 45 with interior access was not pleasant when any repairs or genral maintenance was needed. Not a fast boat 20knot cruise but holds 890 gallons and will get you anywhere.

Love my 1985 45'. Cat C-12 cruise 1900 27.5 knots burn 45 gph. completly overhauled last winter. Look, preforms, and is very comfortable when cruising. Here she is in Nantucket. I got a lot of compliments on her. there was 7 of us for a week. No problem with room. granted, 3 kids, 4 adults. kids dont care where they sleep in the summer.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by George; 10-18-2008 at 09:03 AM.

You have a very nice looking boat....it looks like you have done a lot of nice work to her. We are out there looking but we have not seen too much yet...thanks!

Jim

Jim,
    There are a lot of unbelievable deals out there now if you in the market. If I had to do it over again, and had the stability despite the current economic conditions, it's a buyers market. there are steals out there all over the place. From my perspective as I've been there done that is, buy as cheap as you possibly can, refit for a year, and your way ahead as far as spend is concerned. I say spend, not invest. No ROI's in the boat industry any longer.
    Ex. I know a stock 1988 52 in NJ which is owned by the original owner, who just wants out. I can honestly say, $150K takes it. Put in new power for $225K redo the outside for $125 K and $40K for the inside, you have a brand new rig for a fraction of the price of a new one. Good luck.