Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

No so Modern Maid

Well I'm been putting off the galley remodel long enough. The Admiral wanted this done 4 years ago, but I had other priorities. Now I can't come up with anymore excuses.

I pulled out the ModernMaid oven and dishwasher today with the help of a couple of forum members. Here's what she looks like now.

Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 09-28-2008 at 09:17 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Re: No so Modern Maid

Are you planning on replacing just the appliances or are you doing a complete remodel. We have a 56' and I would really like to gut the entire galley and do a complete refit. We have replaced the appliances already, but the cabinets were not of any quality that Hatteras would have or should have installed. I really want to reposition the sink to the corner and open up the area a little more.

What I have to replace this with is a Fisher & Paykel dishwasher drawer for the lower cabinet area, a 4 burner Miele Ceran cooktop and a GE spacesaver micro-convection oven for over the stovetop.

The inspiration for this was forum member Bald Eagle's remodel of his 53ED. Here are a couple of pics of his job in the "almost completed" phase.

The next step is obviously to get busy building the new lower cabinet. I'll try to update this thread as the job progresses.
    Sky Cheney

Quote Originally Posted by flydixie1415 View Post
    Are you planning on replacing just the appliances or are you doing a complete remodel. We have a 56' and I would really like to gut the entire galley and do a complete refit. We have replaced the appliances already, but the cabinets were not of any quality that Hatteras would have or should have installed. I really want to reposition the sink to the corner and open up the area a little more.

There will be no change to the original layout. We will, however, be putting new solid surface countertop material over the existing Formica. The cabinets are in great shape and the integrated construction would make them very difficult to remove and rebuild. Plus, I like the OEM look. I wouldn't want drawers or cabinet doors that did not match the cabinetry in the rest of the boat. We will be adding a large drawer beneath the dishwasher. Making the matching trim for the drawer edge may prove to be one of the most difficult parts of the job. My goal is to have it look like it was made that way when it left the factory. We'll see how it turns out.
    Sky Cheney

Sky,

So glad you started this thread! As you know I love keeping tabs on your boat and when there are pictures involved -- ALL THE BETTER!!

-Jack

Jack,
    The boat is coming out of the water the second week of October. After that the real work begins. Now get up here and help!
    Sky Cheney

Wow, that's going to be great Sky! One quick question though, Why the drawer-style dishwasher instead of a regular full-size? Most of the installations that I have seen with those units have two stacked on top of each other in the space of one regular unit.

Obviously the new stoage space is welcomed with the new drawer, but you could just fit any dishwasher of your (or the Admiral's) choice and enjoy household capacity. The only thing that I remember looking out for when I replaced my stove and dishwasher was the depth of the 4-burner stoves. Some are 4.5" depth and some are 3.5". I went with a 3.5" depth model to have extra clearance over the dishwasher, but there is actually plenty of room.

Food for thought.

Byron,
    The Admiral wants more storage space. A single drawer dishwasher free's up half of that space for another drawer. Also, the F&P dishwasher only uses 1.7gal per load. I bought the one that is setup for the custom front panel. We'll try to put a front on it that looks identical to the OEM drawer fronts. The only way you will know that it's a dishwasher is the 1" x 2" front panel that has 3 buttons on it.

Cooktop: I didn't want a 30" cooktop even though it would fit. The 24" are hard to find, but I went with the Miele since it is 24" wide and only 2 1/2" deep.

If I were doing this MY way, I would go with a trash compactor and a narrow dishwasher in the space where the old DW was, but the Admiral said no.
    Sky Cheney

Sky, sounds like you have thought it out very well, as usual. One more thing you may or may not have considered, is at what level to mount the microwave.

The pics you posted show it mounted all the way up but the other option is to mount the bottom of the microwave flush with the bottom of the cabinet. This gives a much smoother look but most importantly to my Admiral was that she could now easily reach what she's cooking and therefore less of a chance of spilling something hot at sea!

This will require a filler panel and potentially more storage above the microwave. With the same materials you use around the dishwasher you could make a panel above as well.

I was mounting mine all the way up as well until I asked her. Guess which way mine ended up? Of course.

Byron,
    I have thought of that. The Admiral wants it level with the bottom of the other upper cabinet. I'm still debating if it would be worthwhile to try to make any of that space above the micro usable. I could build a shelf or cabinet up there, but it would be very small especially since it would be partially filled with the vent pipe. It may also be hard reach since it would be up high and the micro would stick out a couple of inches as well.

How about a picture of yours? I may have thought this out, but I haven't built it yet. Any ideas are welcomed.
    Sky Cheney