Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Gore Tex Shaft Packing...?

it sounds like you compromised the hoses. Its not a take a few out job now.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

2. Re: Gore Tex Shaft Packing...?

Our shafts and rudders on our 1981 61 are all 1/2". I run duramax gortex on the rudders and conventional packing on the mains. From our experience and what I have heard the PTFE/GoreTex packing gets kindof hot on the shafts and starts to leak a lot and is not ideal for that application.
    Last edited by MVCaprice; 03-29-2018 at 12:56 PM.

3. Re: Gore Tex Shaft Packing...?

Quote Originally Posted by fissioneng View Post
    I started using Duramax Ultra-X made by Duramax Marine which is a relatively new product. They are the manufacturer of Johnson heavy duty commercial stuffing boxes. Seems to work fine so far for rudders and shafts. They use their own patented fibers, similar to Gore fibers, maybe better. This product is more widely distributed than Gore GFO.
    +1 this is exactly what i am running for rudder seals.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/dura...uramax-ultra-x

4. Re: Gore Tex Shaft Packing...?

Quote Originally Posted by billwilletts View Post
    Yes we put in 6 rings. Should we remove a couple I suppose? They went in nice and easy. Anyone know what happens to this stuff when it overheats?
    How many did you take out originally?? I think ours took 4. IIRC there are three on the shafts.

Has anyone changed out the packing on the rudder boxes with the boat in the water? Or would this be ill advised?
    Best regards,
    --
    David

I have changed the packings on my 1979 53' MY rudder boxes twice in the water. Not that much water comes in with the packings out. Of course just have the new ones pre cut in advance.Once you remove the old ones and put the first new ring in the water all but stops coming in.
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by KPTIM View Post
    I have changed the packings on my 1979 53' MY rudder boxes twice in the water. Not that much water comes in with the packings out. Of course just have the new ones pre cut in advance.Once you remove the old ones and put the first new ring in the water all but stops coming in.
    Right. No big deal at all. Just don’t be unbolting anything above the shelf or it will become a very big deal.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

8. Re: Gore Tex Shaft Packing...?

Quote Originally Posted by Hat52MY View Post
    Has anyone changed out the packing on the rudder boxes with the boat in the water? Or would this be ill advised?
    I’ve done it. Not too big of a deal. Just be prepared with your replacement rings.

I’d like to share a link to more on the subject. Interesting reading (to me) on caution on use of PB Blaster, proper stuffing box hose, moldable packing temp issues, importance of drip, handy home made installation tool and a alarming caution on graphite impregnated packing. I realize this site was put up well before my time as a boat owner so apologies if already posted. http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box&page=1

I have used Western Pacific moldable packing for 15 years now and would not use anything else.Install run it an hour take up a half turn and you want have to touch it for years.
    Bob