Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gore Tex Shaft Packing...?

I know, I know, "It's only a dumb question if you DON'T ask it...Dummy!"

So, there are two kinds of the GoreTex dripless shaft packing. And, no I don't remember what the two kinds are. What are they?

Then there's the question of what size to get for a 48MY ('83). 1/2? 5/8? 3/4?

Answers, Oh Wise Ones?

(I find it's best not to even pretend I know what I'm doing...)

Re: Gore Tex Shaft Packing...?

Gore GFO is the one I have used.
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

I started using Duramax Ultra-X made by Duramax Marine which is a relatively new product. They are the manufacturer of Johnson heavy duty commercial stuffing boxes. Seems to work fine so far for rudders and shafts. They use their own patented fibers, similar to Gore fibers, maybe better. This product is more widely distributed than Gore GFO.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

4. Re: Gore Tex Shaft Packing...?

I've had GFO 1/2" X 1/2" on my shaft logs (48 cnv, 2.5" shafts) for 4 years. No problems and only had to snug them once. Thx.

Use GFO - it's great stuff.

BUT BE CAREFUL! When you first install it, DO NOT tighten it up to a few drips per minute like you normally would. The following may sound like a lot of running and then slow tightening, but a number of forum members have tightened it too much at first and had it heat up too much and then it's impossible to undo that and you have to start over. Mine now runs cool and basically doesn't drip much at all. After I got it seated right, we put 6,000 miles on the boat with zero problems and very minor dripping.

WHen you first install it, just tighten it to one drip per second or more (that's lots of dripping).

Then go out and run it for 15 minutes. While somebody else pilots the boat, at hull speed or more, check the packing gland with your hand on the metal (it should be cool to slightly warm but not be too warm to be uncomfortable). GFO transfers heat to the metal gland more than waxed flax does. If it stays cool enough, back at the dock re-tighten it to one drip every 5 or 10 seconds. You may find that it has reduced dripping on its own during the run-in.

Then run it again, check warmth again and re-tighten again to one drip every 2 or 3 seconds. Again, it may have reduced dripping on its own during the run-in.

Then leave it dripping slowly and run it for a cruise or two, like a few hours or more of running. Then tighten it to one drip per minute at the dock. After a number of cruises you can check warmth and gradually tighten a little more until it hardly drips at all. After that, you're probably good for many years of almost dripless running.

Doug Shuman
    Last edited by Nonchalant1; 09-24-2008 at 10:51 AM.

GFO - great stuff and now drip-free at all times (for the past 2 years) on our 53MY. The boxes are lukewarm at most and our engine bilges stay totally dry.

BUT...

Follow Doug's advice, above. If you adjust it like regular flax packing, you get to do it all over! You cannot loosen the packing once it is too tight.

I had the nuts OFF the fittings and the flange slid up the shaft and still couldn't get any water to drip in after ignoring the instructions and tightening so it wouldn't leak sitting in the dock first. The box got so hot running that it would burn your hand.

So follow Doug's advice!

7. Re: Gore Tex Shaft Packing...?

Looking for some advice. I just re-packed my shaft stuffing box with Gore GFO. 6 layers in each log. We didn't even tighten the bolts and no water is coming in. Ran the boat two miles at low speeds (1200 rpm) and they got over 300 degrees and were smoking. Even the rubber boot started bubbling hot where its clamped to the shaft. Tried backing out the nuts even more and the whole thing rotated. I am at a loss on what I should do next. They bolts weren't even tight. Any advice? What next? Looks like the bronze housing is even discolored.
    Bill Willetts - Wilmington NC
    Snap-on Tools Executive
    Steel Drum Musician
    https://www.facebook.com/jollymonjams/

Hatteras 56MY

6 layers?

6 rings seems a bit much. Also was it easy to push in to the stuffing box? Sounds too tight somewhere.

Now you probably need to pull the shafts from the couplings and replace the hoses.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

9. Re: Gore Tex Shaft Packing...?

I agree with Scott. I didn't think there was enough space to get six rings of properly sized packing into the gland. Maybe four.

10. Re: Gore Tex Shaft Packing...?

Yes we put in 6 rings. Should we remove a couple I suppose? They went in nice and easy. Anyone know what happens to this stuff when it overheats?
    Bill Willetts - Wilmington NC
    Snap-on Tools Executive
    Steel Drum Musician
    https://www.facebook.com/jollymonjams/

Hatteras 56MY