Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: What decides my vote in '08

When Gloria hit Long Island people were without power for 2-3 weeks. I pulled generators from boats and hooked them up at houses. The swimming pools were the cooling water source. It was in a rural environment and we could do something other than sit in an apartment.

The people in Houston are in a city and are mostly stuck in apartments. The population density is higher and the ones still there don't have a way to get somewhere else or a place to go. They were far enough inland that they expected the storm to weaken more than it did but at least they are safe.

I feel for the people stranded there. Their homes and places of work are out of commission. Public transportation is down. Food and water being brought out by the red cross and FEMA. They are probably stir crazy by now too.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I remember Gloria I had a boat in Seaford watched the eye pass over us pretty cool to see the eye of a storm.

Brian

I was working in a marina in Riverhead and living in Patchogue. What a mess we had to clean up. No one was hurt so that was the good part.

I bought my old pacemaker from someone is Seaford. Way back when before Gloria
    Last edited by Boatsb; 09-15-2008 at 09:18 PM.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

I think some of us should consider buying turner's boat [ it has the good engines]- take off and see what much of the world is really like!

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I was working in a marina in Riverhead and living in Patchogue. What a mess we had to clean up. No one was hurt so that was the good part.

I bought my old pacemaker from someone is Seaford. Way back when before Gloria
    I had a 65' party boat in seaford the water came up about 6' above the dock the barrier islands were not visable. When the eye wall aproached we ran both engines 1000 RPM in reverse to take the strain off the lines. Then the eye came over the wind stopped the sun came out like nothing had happened. We expected it to start up again on the back side but it really didn't. The wind did a 180 but it wasn't near as strong and the water went down faster than it came up. What a mess is right there was a sailboat leaning against my truck up in the street. I wonder how we made it through without any help from FEMA?

Brian

Did we have FEMA back then?

I never heard the name. I remember grabbing a chain saw for my truck and just helping where ever I could. I remember a gas station running a generator to fill gas cans for people but I don't remember the price. I think it was about .25c higher than the day before and he was fined for price gouging.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.