Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hp on 13 Whaler

hp on 13 Whaler

Hey, all. One friend has been good enough to flat out give me a 13 Whaler sans motor, and another friend has a 30 Honda that needs some work (lower unit). Anyone have experience enough to guess whether a 4-stroke 30 would push a 13 adequately? It's not a tiller-steer motor.

Back in the day I ran an old 13 with a 50 Merc, but it was getting pretty tired. I couldn't honestly hazard a guess how 20 less 4-stroke ponies would do. My guess is it'll be underpowered, though.
    -- Paul

Re: hp on 13 Whaler

Paul,

I've played with a 13 Whaler with an old 35 on it. It was tired, and running poorly, but would still plane just fine. It was no speed demon, but certainly would get you where you need to go. Hope this helps.

Jason

with healthy engines, a 40 is way fast 've had 13s with 40s) ... I have a 30 on mine now and it still planes with 2 couples and is a ton of fun ..... and burns a fraction of your Hatt in fuel.
    Enjoy !!
    45C360-1970 ... "Good Bait" - Sag Harbor,NY
    31 Bertram Bahia Mar-1970 ... "Bertramp" - Ft Lauderdale
    21 Whaler Impact-1996 ... Ft Lauderdale, FL/Sag Harbor, NY

I had a 13 with a Yamaha 40 2-stroke. It was fast and pulled a skier out of the hole just fine. Anything less and you will probably be disappointed.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Believe it or not we have a 1966 with a 6.6 evinrude on it. Dinghy service only but it will push for a while then barely plane with just my skinny 17 year old in it. Of course it takes a little contorting to lean way forward to get the bow down and start picking up speed. Tiller steered. The 30 would probably make this boat fly...

When I was a kid I had a 13 whaler w/25 johnson 2 stroke .It went very well ,you shoud have no problems with 20hp. My whaler was a 70,s vintage

I have a 13 w/a 25hp merc 2 stroke. It does great and unless it is fairly smooth you would not want to run it much faster. My only issue with Honda 4 strokes is their weight. It may sit a little low in the rear.
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

i've run a 13' whaler with a 40hp, lots of power and that was the late model version with the 20" transom... heavier that than the original.

I have a 40hp on my 13' overbuilt hard tender (heavier than a whaler) and at WOT (30kts) it is just plain scary in anything but smooth water.

i think the 30 should be plenty of power for a 13 whaler...

if you want a two stroke, i have an older mariner 30 two stroke that i dont' need anymore... runs fine... cheap.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

A buddy of mine has a 13 with a 40hp 4-stroke Suzuki (sp?). Very quiet and hauls ass. You probably wouldn't go as fast, but it'd be more than adequate.
    Regards,

Doug L.

One thing to consider is the height of the transom . Older (pre1972??) 13's had the lower transom for the short shaft motors newer are long shaft . You do not want alot of weight on the old style as it makes it too low in the aft. I have a 13 w/ a 40 Merc 2 stroke commercial motor which is as heavy as a 4 stroke and you can almost swamp it coming off plane . I had a big guy climb up the transom after tubing and completely swamp it on us as we took a wave over the transom at the same time . That hull will only go so fast, with a light load I would bet the 25 hp will go almost as fast as the 40hp. The hps come in handy when you have alot of gear and adults ,mine will do 30 + with 6 adults and is damn scary w/me alone and trimmed out all the way. If you have kids that will use it I'd go lower hp ..............Pat