Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1986 53 Hatteras MY now $249K

I just got an email from Luke Brown, the listing broker of my friend's Hatteras. Mo, my friend, passed away last October. This was his second love, after his family. He treated this boat as good as one of his children. In the last couple of years before he passed, he had a "lift" installed on the aft deck which incorporated the flybridge ladder because of bad hips and knees. The work looks very good and works well.

If you are seriously looking at a "late model" 53 Motoryacht, this would be a prime candidate. I'm sure they don't want to go winterize it again. It shows very well for a Northeast boat and Mo was only the second owner.

I'm sure you wouldn't be displeased if you saw the boat. I've passed by on the Navesink River in NJ a few times this year, but have not been onboard. This boat was really special to him and his family, so I hope it finds a good home soon.
    Larry Kaplan
    Former Owner of
    1980 60' Sportfish

Re: 1986 53 Hatteras MY now $249K

Link to the listing?
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

I received it from Luke Brown Yacht Sales, website www.lukebrown.com. I believe the listing broker is Alan Bernard in Baltimore. The boat is located up here in NJ. There is also a listing on yachtworld.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...quick&is=false

I hope this helps.
    Larry Kaplan
    Former Owner of
    1980 60' Sportfish

If Alan Bernard is the broker you can be sure the description and spec's are accurate. Alan's office has historically been in Newport, RI although he works from all of the LukeBrown offices as one of their co-owners. He is a super square-shooter and the finest yacht broker I have ever worked with!
    A first class gentleman!
    Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan

ttt
    "Mambeaux"
    1985 43MY

I agree with your assessment of Alan Bernard. A very capable and professional yacht broker. I have looked at the boat twice, on the hard before launch and in the water during August.

Only a good survey and engine inspection will indicate the mechanical and structural condtion of the boat. However, my (and the Admiral's) impresssion is that the boat appears tired. There is some pretty significant damage to the starboard topsides paint... not sure if starboard side can be repaird or needs to be repained. The flybridge helm, seating etc has to be cleaned up... new seating needed up there. All of the interior furnishings are tired and need to be replaced. There is no furniture on the aft deck. The remaining soft goods including carpet are usable but should be replaced. The hull looked good and I did not observe any blistering at all. Both engine rooms need to be cleaned up and repainted. I am a bit suspect after observing some of the engine accessories such as blankets and fuel seps. Am not sure .. but am suspicious and would insit on having my own mechanic spend a lot of time here. The hours on the 6-92s are high @ 3,000 which argues more for some good mechanical testing. Stuck my good old nose down into the bilges and did not detect any bad odors. All of the cosmetics in the heads need to be redone. Owners head update to a new Raritan Atlantic...others orignal galley made. Cabin and decks appeared original and OK.

I did speak with the yard mechanic who worked on the boat and ran the boat with the owner. The mechanic claims the boat runs well. He speaks highly of the owner.

By the way, if you ask Alan about the boat, he will be quite candid and provide an honest opinion.

I have seen recently other Hatts of this vintage that appear to be in better condition than this one and will trade in the same range.

Spin
    Last edited by spindrift; 09-20-2008 at 08:59 PM.