Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 125 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 75 ... LastLast

Thread: The Big Chill !

Re: The Big Chill !

The other side shows the gage panel mounted above a long cooler with a PENN thermostat unit. No hourmeter. Is this a constant speed governor as in a generator gov. ?? ws ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 11-19-2008 at 07:50 PM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Bill,

I'm back from SanDiego and will be at the warehouse tomorrow to look for the 3 channel alum frame stock I promised you. I'll let you know when I get back home and get your shipping address etc.....

Walt

Bill,

Well, I was at the warehouse trailers today and I did find some 3 track alum extrusion material from Hatteras. As I said earlier, it is left over from when I did a hard enclosure about 20 yrs or so ago, but you are welcome to it ..N/C.

Call me on my cell so we can discuss shipping information etc.

Walt.... 732-991-5665 cell.....

Sent you a PM... ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

Bill,

Please forgive if this is repeating material, I didn't yet read all half million replies to this exciting post-

With regard to the generator rebuild: We went through a similar situation with a Kohler- we rebuilt the Perkins 4107 and the generator end was working when it came out. Put it all back together and in the boat- and then the gen end went bad, did not produce power (argh). Long drawn out process, $$ spent, and in the end we would have been better off to go with a replacement than to the rebuild. Which is what we ended up doing in the end, after much tinkering, tech calls, day long tech visit ($1200.00 just for this), soul searching, foul language, and such. So we thought we were going to save some $$ with a rebuild but turned out sour in the end. Hope you have better luck with yours- this is just something to consider, which you probably already have.

PS: anyone looking for a freshly rebuilt Perkins 4107 please contact us!

Mike & Cheryl

Hey Mike... I can appreciate what you went through!
    Thats the Norm de' Riguer for me; ya really get good at knowing the wrench sizes the 15th time around dont ya????
    When I ran mine at the house, it seems ok, but, the volts were low; I didnt yet put the voltage regulator stuff back on. When the lazarette is prepped for the install, it'll be a modular job so replacement should be a mere 2 hour job... YEA, RIGHT!!! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

Quote Originally Posted by holtcl View Post
    Bill,

Please forgive if this is repeating material, I didn't yet read all half million replies to this exciting post-

With regard to the generator rebuild: We went through a similar situation with a Kohler- we rebuilt the Perkins 4107 and the generator end was working when it came out. Put it all back together and in the boat- and then the gen end went bad, did not produce power (argh). Long drawn out process, $$ spent, and in the end we would have been better off to go with a replacement than to the rebuild. Which is what we ended up doing in the end, after much tinkering, tech calls, day long tech visit ($1200.00 just for this), soul searching, foul language, and such. So we thought we were going to save some $$ with a rebuild but turned out sour in the end. Hope you have better luck with yours- this is just something to consider, which you probably already have.

PS: anyone looking for a freshly rebuilt Perkins 4107 please contact us!

Mike & Cheryl

I tell people all the time that when a gen starts needing expensive repairs, to just replace it. Sell the old unit for whatever and put a new unit in. Most new units have a 5 year warranty and will give at least 10 years of trouble free operation.

I got a good deal on a leftover gen on this site. In the end I put a new 13.5 Onan in the boat and got a few dollars for the old Onan and the cost was equal to 2 1/2 tanks of fuel.

The rebuild seemed like the easy (and cheapest) thing to do at the time but if we had to do it over again we'd have replaced it. Parts for a 1970-something Kohler are just not that easy to find nor people who are competent to work on them. But- hindsight is 20-20. The other upside is that the new Northern Lights burns SO much less fuel, that the $ we saved on fuel on the 2800 mile trip we took this summer got us a ways down the road for making up for the costs of the new unit.

Have fun!

You mean aggravation and yelling and swearing isnt part of the yachting experience???

So it seems as though I am looking at Mount Everest looming above me; and I am at base camp 1.

Got those frames re-welded and the rotten bastard dropped right in and even the screw holes lined up by 90%; unbelievable, but true! So I spent the last two days starting to rebuild the vertical mullions with some asian cedar that I got from work. They ship all those CHINESE built electric motors in crates made of the stuff. Almost 3/4"... more like 19mm. Hope the judges are carrying their conversion scale!
    I figured I would let the clamps stay put for the week to help the bedding set up and not "strain" the screws. Even with 150,000 btus of heat, the pnuemonia hole kept things cool today so the heat lamp helped a bit too. ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 12-06-2008 at 09:48 PM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

Today was spent getting the frame prepped and primered. The corners took a dab of filler to make them almost perfect! I also had to fill the back half of the plastic window keeper tracks for the finished look that I am trying to accomplish... I took a piece of the trim and blocked the slot for a perfect edge. That soldered plastic stuff lookes like it'll be a real cork smoker getting it back in. ... All for the sake of an opening window!
    I primed with Rustoleum cold galvanizing spray... it's dry film is 95% pure zinc and its on with about 10 mils all the way around. ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 12-06-2008 at 09:48 PM.
    yachtsmanWILLY