Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

question: young kids and ladders?

All,
    I have been thinking about moving into a convertible from my SX. We have a 16 month old climber that can't keep her feet on the deck. I am curious how others have managed this. I have been thinking about gates/canvas/netting as way to keep her off the ladder both top and bottom.
    What have you had experience with and how did it work?
    Thanks. This is a huge sticking point for my wife, but I am sure there is a good way to manage this.
    Paul
    (formerly Nor'easter 1995 39 Hatt SX)

Re: question: young kids and ladders?

Paul,

This was by far the BIGGEST issue with my wife as well. I bought a Chris Craft MY with no ladders. Walk around the entire boat double lifelines, nice wide, large bench up front, etc... I can see the kids the whole route without ever leaving the helm. This boat has no flybridge, that's what we wanted. When she's happy I get to spend more time on the boat. Good Luck.

For the ladder you could get a piece of canvas that covers the front of the ladder say 3' high. It would be a matter of 6 snaps and done. Put the snaps on the back of the treads so the canvas wraps around the sides. As far as the cockpit I think you may have to put up a hotwire. Actually you could make a set of pipes that fit in the rod holders with a couple safety lines or a net. It would be pretty easy to roll up and stow.
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

we have netted most of the aft deck with the same netting that is used on sailboats. And the swim platform ladder had an igloo in front of it. we also keep an eye on her. Remember we use the boat daily to live, so feel free to call me if you want.

Usually there is a simple solution

Noel
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ

Put the kid on a leash. They make the life vests with a harness and you have a solid line to the kid. I would rather have them tied to me or something I know secure than wonder if they can defeat a net or a door latch.

I got the twist lock outlets when my son was 6 months old. These turn 45 degrees so there is no exposure to the terminals. You have to insert a plug part way. Turn it 45 degrees clockwise and push it in the rest of the way. It took him 2 months to figure it out. The wife is still having a few issues. I guess since he is 9 I should switch them back.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Obviously, there is no plan to let her cruise around unattended and we plan to watch her. They do seem to get out of sight when your attention is elsewhere.
    I think this would be pretty simple with canvas on the bottom of the ladder when we are in the cockpit, and something similar when we would be on the bridge. I have seen some add a gate section to the FB rail that keeps kids off the ladder.
    We are curious if there is a particular way to rig the ladder that is foolproof.
    Thanks for the suggestions so far.

How about installing one of the wireless man overboard monitors on the kid?

good idea. I don't know much about them, but they are worth looking into. The admiral is much more concerned about the fall from a ladder to a FB, but the overboard topic comes up too.
    This is not an issue for me now with my SX (open), but we are shopping around a bit for a convertible, and it is really her biggest worry.

Sorry I misread your first post. Didn't realize you wanted a convertible. I rigged part of my life sling at the top of my flybridge ladder when the kids were little to essentially have a leash on them as they went up or down. It took a few times to show them how to slip it over them and I would just monitor their progress up or down with my hand on the tethered end at the top of the bridge. Prevented me from having to de-plane the boat every time a kid went up or down.

you could net the areas you need them to stay in too
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ