Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any way to fix a fender air valve?

I have some large Taylor-made fenders. One of them leaks and I found that it is leaking out of the air-fill hole - you know, the kind that uses the needle to fill, like a football, etc.

I can't figure out any way to repair it or even how it would fail in the first place. I assume it's just a little flap or something that closes when the internal air pressure pushes on it but I don't really know.

Any fender valve repair advice?

I note that Taylor's warranty only applies to splitting or bursting, not to leaking air valves...
    Last edited by MikeP; 09-08-2008 at 09:26 AM.

Re: Any way to fix a fender air valve?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    I have some large Taylor-made fenders. One of them leaks and I found that it is leaking out of the air-fill hole - you know, the kind that uses the needle to fill, like a football, etc.

I can't figure out any way to repair it or even how it would fail in the first place. I assume it's just a little flap or something that closes when the internal air pressure pushes on it but I don't really know.

Any fender valve repair advice?

I note that Taylor's warranty only applies to splitting or bursting, not to leaking air valves...
    I bet they honor the warranty, even though it doesn't specifically call out the valve.
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht
    100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    http://www.boat-heaters.com

I bet the valve will hold long enough to burst it if they won't honor it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I bet the valve will hold long enough to burst it if they won't honor it.

Even better....especially if you can borrow someone else's boat to do the 'dirty work'
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht
    100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    http://www.boat-heaters.com

Wonder if when a fender "splits" it looks the same as the cut a razor blade might make...

I had some old taylor made with a different type of valve. Had a nylon screw that covered a valve that was not a football valve. They were leaking so i filled them up , put some silicone in the hole and ran the screw back in.

As far as the foot ball type, why not try some tire sealer. Of course try warranty first.

Tire sealer...good idea!

Frankly it sounds like too much trouble to bother packing it up/sending it back for a warranty repair - probably cost as much in shipping as a new fender if they replace it under warranty anyway. I have a bottle of "slime" from my x-country trip...

Since the valve sticks into the fender farther than a pool of slime will most likely get ,you may have to put the needle in and pull back out with the slime pumping in.

Ok if this works then you have to take me for a ride in the Ferrari.

Take it to worst marine and be like "this junkx broke yo, gimme new one!"

I once saw a guy digging out TM fenders out of the dumpster. I asked him about it and he said that all you have to do is to take them to West Marine and they will give you new ones. It's worth a try.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI