Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: 53C, 53YF, 53CPMY, or a 53MY?

Quote Originally Posted by stormchaser View Post
    OK, thanks. Of course a full engine survey for both engines and the genset will be on tap when/if it gets to that point. Anyone know what the fuel burn rate is for a 53MY with 8v71TIs?
    I've put about 8,000 NM on my 53MY with 8V71TIs in 5 years and the only logical way to think about fuel burn is in gallons per nautical mile (Gal/NM) because the important thing is how much fuel you burn going the same distance, based on different speeds. There's an old thread somewhere here with lots of details, but the fuel burn is approximately as follows:
    7 knots = 0.5 Gal/NM
    9.1 knots (hull speed) = 1.0 Gal/NM
    10 knots = 1.6 Gal/NM
    15 knots = 2.2 Gal/NM (planing)
    18 knots = 2.7 Gal/NM

The huge jump in fuel use between 9.1 knots and 10.0 knots is because when you start to exceed hull speed, you're pushing a mountain of water without planing. 11 to 13 knots can run 3 Gal/NM because you're not planing yet and you're overloading the engines. WHen you run up on plane, the Gal/NM is actually less than at 11 to 13 knots, but still expen$ive.

Doug Shuman

One piece of advice that you have probably already considered but WE didn't when we were looking...Do you have a place to put it? Though I'd guess finding a slip now will be much easier than it was 5 years ago when we bought ours.

We had found a 53MY but (luckily) before we made the offer, thought that we should check to be sure we could get a slip at our marina. Not only were there none there, there were none ANYWHERE on the north shore of LI. So we did not buy the boat.

We got lucky a few months later, a slip came up at our marina for a 60 footer. I got "advanced notice" from a friend so we jumped and took it before it publicly became avialable, with a lot of annoyed comments from other boaters at the marina for putting our 36ft Mainship DC in that slip for 6-8 months as we continued to look for a 53MY.

If you find you are interested in the 56, be sure that the beam will fit in the slip. At the marina we are now located in MD. I don't believe there are any covered slips that would accept that beam though I might be wrong. Lot's of older marinas were designed with the 53/58 Hatts in mind for the marina's "large" slips at the time.

As a side issue, when we left in '06, the marina in NY was considering a 5k per year "maintanance fee" for all boats. This was being considered as a way get more income from slip renters like me who did all their own work. The only income the marina ever saw from our 53 was slip rental and one bottom painting. The maint fee was applicable to any work you had done by the marina so for most folks, it didn't really amount to anything because they had the marina mechs, etc doing their work anyway and spent at least that every year. But for me it would have been 5k spent for nothing since I did my own work and would not have allowed them to do it anyway...

So be aware of that possibility...

Dave, looking at your signature, it appears you are in Baltimore...
    There ARE covered slips available here (Piney Narrows Yacht Haven) and it's a perfect spot to keep a boat here on the Ches - good access to anything in all directions. It's about 2-3 miles east of the Bay Bridge on Kent Island.

If you want to come out here and take a look at the marina/our 53MY, I'd be glad to show you around. A covered slip is WONDERFUL as far as maintaining the boat. I have no financial association whatsoever with the marina but I know of 3 slips that are available which would take a 53/58.

Quote Originally Posted by GJH View Post
    Here is nice summary:

If you like the 53, you'll love the 56! We've lived on board one year now and it just gets better....

But, ok, the 53 is probably more practical.. just trying to save you from 2 foot-itis (beam, that is) ahead of time.

George
    I've been on baord a 56 wide body and WOW...GORGEOUS...but simply out of my price range.
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

Just another thing to bear in mind, especially when considering which marina slips your 'new' boat will fit into. The vessel's stated beam is almost always measured at the gunwale. If you are using floating slips as many marinas are, your actual beam is much more narrow down 2' above the waterline. If you have fixed docks/pilings then you must stay firm at the stated beam measurement.
    Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan