Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hello...I want a Hatteras

Hi there!

Just turned 50 this year and suddenly find myself questioning in a way I never did before. Seems like things are suddenly becoming more clear (in a way) than they ever were before. Seems like my "priorities" in life may be going through somewhat of a shuffle.

As far as boats go...I've only owned one. It was an aluminum hulled 54' houseboat that I sold 10 years ago. I've had just enough sailing experience to have bareboated a 47' Morgan in BVI, but that has been almost 20 years ago, and I haven't sailed since.

To the point...I'm lookin' for another boat lately. I've looked at some cruisers (read about, but never seen, "Hatteras") and never found anything that "turned me on" all that much. So, I decided to just buy another houseboat (which the thought of somehow bores me?).

Then, the other night at a local marina, I found a guy workin on an old Hatteras and asked him if he minded if I came aboard. As soon as I climbed aboard that boat, I just thought to myself..."This is it Dave, I love this thing. This is no toy. It's the real mccoy." I'd never been on a real boat until then, was my thoughts. I loved every inch of it. the engines (8V-71TI), the layout, and, most importantly, the build quality of that boat. So, that's what I'm goin' for.

There is a '77 53 Classic in Nashville. The pictures look great, but, I've not seen it yet. I plan to go over early next week to take a peek at it.

The first of many questions (I have no idea what I'm doing at all guys and girls) is the engine and gen hrs. The engines have 2100 on them. The Onan 20 gen has 3130 hrs on it. These numbers seem somewhat scary to me. What's the deal as far as these hrs go? I know diesel engines are supposed to last, but, every thing has it's limits. How long should one expect these engines to go? (I read where one gentleman's engines went 4k hrs, but, I don't feel I should expect them to last that long).

What's a "reasonable" time before overhaul for this engine? How 'bout that generator? same question on it..? I just don't know.

Anyhow, thanks for lettin' me lurk around before postin'. And, I'm sure I'll be makin' a nuisance of myself until I get the boat I want...

(sorry for the long post...)

Regards
    Dave

Re: Hello...I want a Hatteras

It's really difficult to answer accurately because HOW the engines were used/maintained is the real factor. I would consider those hours as pretty high on a TI engine and not really a problem on a natural engine - again, depending on how it was used.

Obviously you could employ an engine surveyor to check the engines/genny out and tell you quite accurately how much wear is really on them.

The 53s are great boats and there is lot's of info here on them, including a general guide for what to look at and a bunch of mechanical info on "informal" engine checking, etc.

It would be good to look at several boats if possible. Keep in mind that these are OLD boats and often have some really POOR work - usually electrical - added by Previous Owners.

The other thing to consider is, do you want a "turn-key" boat, a project boat, or something in the middle? Though I would offer that there is really no such thing as an old, turn-key boat!

Good Luck - I'm sure others will add considerably to this shortly.

This might be helpful: http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2683
    Last edited by MikeP; 09-03-2008 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Forgot to add the thread!

A generator factory rep once told me to expect about 8,000 hours from a 15kw genset.

As far as DD 8-71 TI's go, with care I hope to get 7,000-8,000 hours on them before rebuild. I also have fa riend who rebuilt his DD at 5,000 hours, so I think the answers you get are going to vary quite a bit.
    Good luck
    Skip
    Mad Hatteras
    53 MY

I drink because of Navy football

There is a 58 tripple cabin in Knoxville, It needs work. 1271 detroits, one is out. Boat has real potential. I know the owner and helped transport it from St Pete FL to Knoxville.

Former member of this forum. Is the owner. I will send him a PM and he can correspond with you if you wish.

5. Re: Hello...I want a Hatteras

Mains are entirely dependant on the care and feeding they got from their current (and previous) owner(s).

Gensets can go 7-8,000 hours if properly loaded. Generators do not like to be run at light load for long periods of time - it glazes cylinder walls and leads to the problems with the engine. Same as mains (idling for very long periods - operation where they never get good and hot - is bad for them.)

The other thing to keep in mind is that CALENDAR TIME is in many ways worse than hobbs (engine hours) time. Disuse is often worse for an engine than anything else, especially if it comes with (and it often does) neglected maintenance.

Buy the best boat you can afford unless you just love projects (some people do); anything you have to shop out for any purpose will cost twice as much as you think and ALL boat projects take longer than you believe they will. The other side of this is that if you LIKE a particular kind of work (e.g. interior, mechanical, etc) if YOU do it you know how the work was done and to what standard, and you get exactly what you want. That has advantages but they aren't monetary - don't expect them to be.

These are great boats and the 53 and 58, if they fit what you want to do with the vessel, are two of the best basic designs that Hatteras came up with.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

IMHO, the 53MY is one of the best boats ever built. Great layout, great quality, beautiful interiors with exotic woods, seaworthy, etc. I did the "53MY Checklist" on the thread link above. To that, I would add a few comments:

1. Stabilizers, particularly Naiad stabilizers, are a wonderful thing on any boat including the 53MY. They stop the boat from rolling in big waves and greatly reduce crew hassle and piloting (since you don't have to quarter the waves like you do on a non-stabilized boat. You'll probably take this boat places that would sink a houseboat and stay comfortable. Adding stabilizers to a 53MY costs about $45K, but they only add maybe $10K or less to the used boat price, so if you have a choice, get the one with stabilizers.

2. Radar arch height - If you ever want to do the America's Great Loop Route cruise (6,000 miles around the eastern half of USA) or go to the Great Lakes, you'll have to get under 19 ft. air draft. If the baot has a permanent radar arch, it would be nice if it were hinged to get under some of those low fixed bridges. Bimini tops, etc. that can be folded down are no problem.

Hope you find your match!

Doug Shuman

You may want to check out the Jarrett Bay webb site. They have quite a few 53MY and 58MY. Also you will want to check out there add to Bring Your Hatteras Home. 53MY is a great boat when I worked at Hatteras I helped build about 300 of them. It was one of my favorite yachts. Built like a tank. If you buy one you will have a yacht that will give you great pleasure.
    Roger Wetherington
    252-670-4819 rwetheringt@centurylink.net
    Sam's Marine
    www.samsmarine.com

Welcome! You picked a great time to buy, by most accounts.

If you wound up with the 'Bird Boat, it would be awesome.

DAN
    Last edited by drburke; 09-03-2008 at 01:15 PM.

You know either one of his boats would be great, His old 41 is a turn key boat but the 58 needs work.

dcate,
    It sounds like you may need some assistance to find a good boat of this age. These boats were built great, but modifications by previous owners can be a problem. A good broker that knows Hatteras or a friend from this site could be a real benefit. The more of these boats that you look at, the more you will learn.

IMO, you should try to find a boat that is as original as possible. The Hatteras systems were well thought out and are rock solid. An original boat will be easy to fix if you have problems since Hatteras can provide the original wiring diagrams, etc. An "updated" boat may look nice, but the quality of the work may be suspect.

The other thing you will want to look for is upkeep and maintenance. An owner with a knowledge of what maintenance needs to be performed is better than one that just turns the key and goes. If the PO can't afford to maintain the boat in top operating condition, don't even think about buying it. There will be many problems that not even a surveyor will find.

I'm not trying to scare you off. I just don't want you to get in over your head. You will need to have some mechanical skills or you will end up hiring out for maintenance items that WILL have to be performed.

Good luck on your search and don't be affraid to ask more questions here. This site is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to Hatteras Yachts. You will not get this type of support with any other boat brand.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI