Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hurricanes and marina's

Good Day everyone. As I sit here and watch the latest storm heading our way I have just been informed our new marina manager has decided to turn off the power to the docks two days before the storm hits. Has anyone ever run across this in their marina's? We have never had this happen with the past storms that we have weathered and was wondering if anyone else has.

Re: Hurricanes and marina's

Our guy usually turns it off the day before, but AFTER the storm, it might take him 3-4 days... PITA.....

this is plain stupid... shut it down when the storm is starting to affect the area but not before! they probably dont' want to send anyone back in the day before...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

4. Re: Hurricanes and marina's

Well here at Swan Point Marina we just weathered our first hurricane. We had established a plan and sent it to all of our customers back in July.

After hauling out as many boats as we could, there were 6 small sailboats left in the marina. We moved those to the center floating dock from their stationary regular slips.

It was then that we shut down the power and turned off the water. This happened yesterday about 5 pm. We kept the power on in the boatyard, waiting to see the strength of the storm.

About 2am, (Becky and I spent the night here) I walked the yard and the marina checking on water height, wind ETC and decided to keep the power in the yard on.

We fair-ed well with only a few loose hatches found in the yard, 1 demolished Bimini, and we lost our VHF antennas from our roof.

In some instances I can understand why power would be cut early. Such as high tide and water splashing those live shore power boxes and burning out expensive cords.

I am sure every marina has or at least should have published hurricane policies in place so that their customers know what to expect and when.

Paul, you actually ‘stayed’ at your marina?

Wow, the owner of mine reluctantly ‘helped’ put out anchors then left town.

I stayed during the storms and protected ‘his’ marina…
    Trav
    45C 447, Series I, '72
    Pensacola, Fl

6. Re: Hurricanes and marina's

Lambs Boat Yard next to me leaves their power on till the breakers trip when the water level gets over the dock and the power boxes sink ...... Which Flo did a few weeks ago....

Same thing happend to them a few years ago when Charlie and the other storms passed close by.

I'm on a floating dock so we never had that problem... PLUS our owners are long time boaters and care more for us.....
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

My marina has never shut off our power on us. That said, I haven't been here for a bad, bad storm either. When we have a storm, the dockmaster comes and gets Sanctuary and puts her in a "hole" back by the office and they do all the line tying. Then, they give me a security guy during the night when the office is closed. If anything happens, as was the case during Fay when I ripped out the aft cleats on the dock, I just yell for Rubin and he comes running to help re-secure or whatever the need is. Pretty nice! Oh, and no extra charge for all that service.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com