Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: I dont like Ike....

the media cone of fear is just that... at 5 days, it's meaningless.

the 120 hours foreceast is currently on FTL but that' sgoing to change back and forth so I'm not panicking just yet.

1)- it's unlikely that Ike will remain that strong, it has a small wind field which will spin donw (or back up) quicker than a storm with a larger wind field and shoudl encounter some shear over the next few days.
    2)- being a compact storm the damage area will be small, so moving just 40 miles makes a huge difference.
    3)- at this stage, the forecast is nothing than an average of both options... recurving out to sea or straight into the florida straight. Way too early to tell...

i dont' like Ike either, but too early to press the panic button. Angela, if you bail out, i'm sure you can stay at Naomi's ...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

2. Re: I dont like Ike....

I don't like the synoptic setup on this one a bit.

THis has all the makings of a Katrina-like - or worse, Andrew-like - experience.

I'm getting more concerned it won't recurve too, but you won't know for another day or two.

Unfortunately.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Seems to me there's plenty to worry about. Not so much up here, but down there...uh oh.

I am going to revise my lines and probably spend the high-tide period on Blue Note. Mostly to watch and make sure there's enough slack for her to ride up if she needs to....I don't think we're going to get a huge surge up here tomorrow, but I have seen eight feet at the dock and no dock showing at all, just the boat and docklines out in the middle of the water.

And I am going to get my G-wagen out of the garage. If I have to drive through water, she'll have the best chance of not stopping in the middle of it.

Good luck to all, and stay in touch...

Thanks guys,

Everybodys right, too early to panic, but.... Im off to check the with dockmaster about the slips over by the sea wall, really protected from the SE / E / NE winds by the the Giant Condo building. Plus less chance of being smacked by a runaway boat. Will reserve one for sunday and on... I have 10,000 fenders... The dockhands here collect them for me. A gazillion feet of three strand nylon and three anchors... Welcome back Ang. Still a lot of time to turn, Yoooweee! look at this! pucker time!
    Last edited by Captned; 03-23-2009 at 02:53 PM.

since yesterday morning the track has shifted from Nassau to FTL to mid everglades... chances of it recurving are getting smaller.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Captned View Post
    Thanks guys,

... I have 10,000 fenders... The dockhands here collect them for me. A gazillion feet of three strand nylon and three anchors...
    Yup I have a shed with a bunch of line and old fenders the old ugly ones! People throw them out because they are ugly but if the look half descent I take them. Wife looks at me and says WHAT are going to do with them. I tell her I hope nothing at all but store them

Anyone on a coast should have a plan!
    Ang's plan sounds like a good one it helps to be in tight with the marina.

Good Luck to Everyone!!!!!
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

7. Re: I dont like Ike....

11 AM update has it raking Miami and the Keys and going into the Gulf.

Heads up folks - this is getting gnarly, and is starting to smell like a Katrina-esque experience.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

the 11am has shifter to the left gain, now over the lower/central keys which would put Miami out of the damaging winds. (64kts radius is 30NM righ now, 40NM later on the forecast)

of course, it's still 4 days away and things will change but too early to make a decision on where to go as there is still a chance it could recurve a little early.

I'll gladly take a Katrina, it was minor storm over florida... this one is stronger.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

This is my first in FLA.. ....and I'm in the evacuation zone if it's bad. YIKES !!
    45C360-1970 ... "Good Bait" - Sag Harbor,NY
    31 Bertram Bahia Mar-1970 ... "Bertramp" - Ft Lauderdale
    21 Whaler Impact-1996 ... Ft Lauderdale, FL/Sag Harbor, NY

yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults