Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

I dont like Ike....

Here I sit, in the cone of death........ Encouraging words anyone? Where is Ang??

Captned

Re: I dont like Ike....

Ned,

What are your plans? Are you going to ride this thing out from the safety of a hotel?

3. Re: I dont like Ike....

WE had Fay for 4 days....
    New Orleans got hit......
    Hanna is going to the Carolinas....
    Think it's only fair Ike visits S. Florida.......
    Heck, I'm told "South Beach is the place to be..."

Only kidding. I don't wish a storm on anyone.......
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Ned,

Get the heck out of there.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Well you can keep him! The one thing I liked about Ft Pierce is you could run to safety North, South East or West. Here in Canaveral if it comes from South to Southeast I may have to get in the ICW and ride it out. Our boat yard is already full.
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

Just watching this now and it looks like Hanna is picking up but looks pale in comparison to whats behind it. Really looks like a one-two punch in the breadbasket. Hold on guys.
    If yer gonna stay with the boats, get some grub and potable water on board. Check the damn battery water and connections, generator oil and filters. Get that genny on warm standby too.
    Have a chat with St. Christopher while yer at it. As I said before, my house is open if anyone needs it! ws

http://hurricane.accuweather.com/hur...basin=atlantic
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Quote Originally Posted by Captned View Post
    Here I sit, in the cone of death........ Encouraging words anyone? Where is Ang??

Captned
    Hi Ned! I'm struggling for an internet connection with the wifi.

I'm packing my ditch bag, taking inventory, moving important things off the boat, and heading for my hurricane hole over the weekend. I stocked up on more of those giant ball fenders and big lines. My boat gets moved to the back of the marina - I've got the spot in the marina where the boats survived Andrews unscathed.

I stopped by the marina office today to go over the plan and see the new pilings and samson posts they put in for me. Jay said everyone was up there asking for my spot - "already taken." I got the U-shaped basin where they used to launch the drystack boats. I've got a 3 or 4 (cant remember) story L-shaped building to my south and east and land to my north. It's very calm back there when it's blowing out on the end of the docks.

If Ike comes as strong as they say, I won't be able to stay on the boat. I'll either head for the restrooms or laundry room with the other liveaboards, or head to a friend's concrete house in South Dade.

What's your plan?
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Good advice Yachtsmanwillie! I have grub and water, and you forgot....beer and booze. LOL

My batteries are maintained and topped off (I was just down there over the weekend checking everything - good water levels with no boiling), and I've got a crap load of filters for the genny. My tank cleaning guy is coming out on Monday, I think, to suck the sludge out of the bottom of my tank so the genny can stay running - been having a problem with that and I'm going to fix it once and for all. This is why I have a lot of filters - I can change a fuel filter in the dark, half asleep, in under 2 minutes with one hand tied behind my back. You can imagine how how I got that efficient! LOL

And one more thing...I'm going to close all the seacocks after I get in the hole.

Doing all I can to save what we've got. With such an uncertainty, there really isn't anywhere to run, and by the time they can make a decent call on the path, I'm out of time to run - she's no sportfish!

I sure hope I'm not out boat shopping next week.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

"I can change a fuel filter in the dark, half asleep, in under 2 minutes with one hand tied behind my back. You can imagine how how I got that efficient! LOL "

Ahemmm... I was wondering more how you got that hand tied behind yer back!
    Did you read the "I dont have gas" thred? I know you were off line for a while, but its kinda pertinent for you!
    Get some wire tags and tie them to the wheel about closed sea cocks. Half asleep with the boat washing up on shore you sure dont wanna forget theyre closed. I would also suggest, a bunch of Racor elements and several
    1 gallon cans of fuel for priming if necessary! LOTS of flashlights and BATTERIES, really! Oil lamps? (I hate to call them hurricane lamps!) Extra lines ready. Go over all the auto bilge pumps and exercise (exorcise !) the switches and make sure theres no floatsam down there to jam them up either !! Duct tape and the tool box at the ready! Give 'em hell guys and Godspeed! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Ned,

I was having dinner a couple hours ago, and thought to myself...I'm going to start a thread called "I don't like Ike". And lookee here...

I have begun to look beyond the "cone" and now look at the models. The cone is showing whats happening in the middle of the models...and in this case, there seem to be two distinct directions this thing may go.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical...809_model.html

I think we may be alright here on FL's East Coast...but only time will tell.

Jason