Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Wet turbo blankets are ruined???

Greetings all,

I had a turbo exhaust housing failure (you know) and got black soot all over my turbo and manifold blankets. Along with some engine areas. After 5 days in the hole, everything is cleaned, repaired, repainted and replaced on the engine and working fine. However, I needed to clean the turbo blankets so I scubbed and degreased them and have them drying in the sun. I talked to a Detroit mechanic today and he told me that from now on, they will always smoke and stink up my engine room. WTF? Has anyone else ever cleaned / washed your exhaust blankets and did you experience any problems?

Thanks,

Captned
    78 46 CON
    MBMM

Re: Wet turbo blankets are ruined???

I've washed mine before with no problems. They are just fiberglass. Put them back on and they will be fine.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Put them in an oven maybe 350 degrees that should dry them out and cook of any oil?

Brian

4. Re: Wet turbo blankets are ruined???

As long as there is no oil or organic material in/on them I don't see why there would be a problem. As said, you could stick them in the oven for a while.

If they have oil on the material it is an extreme fire risk and they should be replaced.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

As stated, if they had oil on them, do not put them back on. But, if it was just soot, then wash off and reuse. Mine were still wet when I put them back on. A few minutes at cruise and they dried right out.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thanks guys, another day in the Miami Sun and I think they will be dry. No oil, just some dirty / sooty areas that didn't want to clean up. Sure beats buying new ones.... Will update if I have any problems with them....

Captned

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Mine were still wet when I put them back on. A few minutes at cruise and they dried right out.

I had the same experience..... The turbo will dry them just right...

Of course, with no oil on them as stated..!!

Try 350 degrees in the oven for three hours. If this still causes smoke, try 550 degrees, or maximum temp in the oven for a while. If still smokes, put in self-cleaning oven on clean for four hours. What do you have to lose? They are either ruined or not.

You might want to have another self-cleaning or two of the oven prior to any important cooking. Olive oil = good, straight 40 wt., maybe only to true Detroit Diesel enthusiasts.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Quote Originally Posted by Captned View Post
    Greetings all,

I had a turbo exhaust housing failure (you know) and got black soot all over my turbo and manifold blankets. Along with some engine areas. After 5 days in the hole, everything is cleaned, repaired, repainted and replaced on the engine and working fine. However, I needed to clean the turbo blankets so I scubbed and degreased them and have them drying in the sun. I talked to a Detroit mechanic today and he told me that from now on, they will always smoke and stink up my engine room. WTF? Has anyone else ever cleaned / washed your exhaust blankets and did you experience any problems?

Thanks,

Captned
    78 46 CON
    MBMM
    i no a company who makes ex blankets at half the cost for detroit turbos..843-3190186 jimmy...