Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: What would a 43 DC cost today?

Hey Mario. Love your boat. We are looking at the 58 yachtfish/cockpit motoryacht, and noted with interest your towing of the vessel behind. We have thought of doing the same thing with our 7,000 lb, 30 foot gofast.

What is that boat you are towing, how much does she weigh, and how does she tow? What is the routine when you dock? And, how much extra fuel do you burn while towing the other vessel? Sorry for all the questions! <gg>

Dear Walt

I had been thinking exactly the same as you suggested (maybe get an old 50ft, with wood pannelling etc and spend some money upgrading/renovating etc) but then saw the cruising speed of around 14 kts. Is there any way of increasing that or is it simply not feasible because of hull design?

Best wishes

Quote Originally Posted by Johnster View Post
    Dear Walt

I had been thinking exactly the same as you suggested (maybe get an old 50ft, with wood pannelling etc and spend some money upgrading/renovating etc) but then saw the cruising speed of around 14 kts. Is there any way of increasing that or is it simply not feasible because of hull design?

Best wishes
    Hull design is the not the issue. More power will push that boat to a 16-18kt+ cruise. Fanfare replaced his 8v71n's with 6v92ta's in his 50MY. Maybe you could send him a PM for specifics.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by hyperfishing View Post
    Hey Mario. Love your boat. We are looking at the 58 yachtfish/cockpit motoryacht, and noted with interest your towing of the vessel behind. We have thought of doing the same thing with our 7,000 lb, 30 foot gofast.

What is that boat you are towing, how much does she weigh, and how does she tow? What is the routine when you dock? And, how much extra fuel do you burn while towing the other vessel? Sorry for all the questions! <gg>
    Thank you!

The boat I was towing is our 24' wellcraft walk-around fishing boat. I think she's around 5000lbs or so. I used about 60' of 1" three strand poly and two 20' poly lines, each one end (bitter end) tied to the cleats in the cockpit of the YF and all three ends meeting at a large shakle. The other end of the long line is tied to the eye that the trailer hooks up to. The boat handled well even with 6-8 foot seas on the way back home and it towed straight as an arrow, no change in speed. As for docking, depending on sea conditions, I'll either bring it all the way to the enterance to the marina or if bad weather or an unfamilier marina, I untie at a safe distance. My wife Yaisy or my father in law will board and start the engine. when ready I'll release the tow. I have found that it is easyer to untie the tow line from the 24' and bring the tow line aboard the YF than to untie both lines from the cleats and throw it all aboard the 24'. To get underway, I have found that the most practical way is to hook the tow up while underway and away from the dock. I cruise at 9kts with or without the tow. I haven't really seen a big difference in fuel burn. Maybe .5 GPH more while towing.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney