Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What would a 43 DC cost today?

My family have been asking me what they think my 1976 43DC with FB would go for these days brand new. I have twin Cummins VT903M’s at 400HP each and all new electronics. I figured around $800,000 but just a complete guestimate. Any ideas on what would be closer to reality?

I bought this old girl for $66k in December 07 and have been working hard to restore her – put 70 hours on engines so far – so good, no oil burn at all and oil has stayed clean, only 1300 hours on engines at time I bought her.

Re: What would a 43 DC cost today?

if a Seamaxtonmerlinver 40/42 can go for .. 600k? i'd say with hatteras quality 800k would be in the ball park.

SeaRay re invented the wheel a few years ago with their 40ish "motoryacht", with what is just a classic DC layout in a Nike shoe/chlorox bottle shell. trouble is that even with more beam, they dont' offer more space... go figure that one...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

800k plus, just look at what a new hinkley in the low 40' range cost and they dont even come close to the build cost of the Hatteras.

A new 56MY Hatt costs just under $2M before options. So, I'd put a 43MY (if they made one now) at over $1M.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

My 2006 survey indicated replacement at $785,000.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

6. Re: What would a 43 DC cost today?

I would guess between $750k and $1m, but good luck finding something with that level of craftsmanship in a production boat built today.

The problem is that in the under-50-to-55ish category the cost of building 'em like Hatt does is prohibitive and nobody will buy them when put up against the floating condos, as "doing it right" results in a price 2x that of the competitors.

This penalty gets less severe in the larger vessels, and it is largely why Hatteras stopped building the smaller stuff.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

I love my Hatteras. I was originally in the market for a mid 80's 38' chinese built Sundeck Trawler (I had a modest budget). Thanks to the discovery of yachtworld.com, I was able to find this boat. Broker I was working with at time said he looked at it and it was piece of junk. I didn't know much about Hatteras at the time but I had never heard the word junk to describe one. As soon as I stepped onto aft deck and saw the 1" think plexiglass wing doors (which now I know probably wasn't stock!) and how well all the exterior hardware had stood up I knew I was buying this boat. Every one of the 5 interior doors closed perfectly with no slamming (no warping) was just more testament that this was the "real deal". Remember looking for surveyors and telling them it was a Hatteras 43 DC, they would change their tone - one told me "You know, that is a SERIOUS boat, don't you?".

The new broker (Bill Koepel from Generation Marine in Fort Lauderdale who apparently specializes in Hatteras and owns a 65’ Hatteras) kept stressing I was buying into a family. Thought it just talk until I found this group of awesome individuals whom I feel I have much in common with. Thanks for replies and all the best – Scott.

Our survey last year put our 1972 58YF at $1.5M replacement value. should give you a ballpark figure. $800K sounds about right.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

9. Re: What would a 43 DC cost today?

If someone walked up to me and offered $90,000 for my 43', it would be theirs the same day....

Then I could start to think of a 53'............
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

With all due respect to all who posted on this thread. I think Sky is the closest to the cost, and you know what? At a million it would be a hell of a boat when compared to some of the junk of similiar size at half the cost.

Don't even try to compare a 43 DC to a 43 to 46 or larger in some cases in actual "size". This is a case where size really does matter.... the 43 Hatteras is BIGGER and roomier than anything even 10 ft longer. The flush deck MY design provided soo much more living space.

As I have said several times before, if you are planning on a long term ownership/love affair with a boat you should consider an older Hatteras (of any size or style) and spend a few boat bucks on it to create a like new boat for less $ and a lot more value.

Walt