Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Smile Noise level at helm

I was wondering if anyone can give me an estimate on how noisey it is in the lower helm when you are cruising/running. Can you keep a conversation in a normal voice. The reason im asking is a guy told me it is real noisey in a 53 Hatt when running from the lower wheel.

The wife and I are still set on getting a Hatt, but I am curious anyway.

Scott

Re: Noise level at helm

Quote Originally Posted by scokat View Post
    I was wondering if anyone can give me an estimate on how noisey it is in the lower helm when you are cruising/running. Can you keep a conversation in a normal voice. The reason im asking is a guy told me it is real noisey in a 53 Hatt when running from the lower wheel.

The wife and I are still set on getting a Hatt, but I am curious anyway.

Scott
    Go out on Youtube and search Hatteras Yachts...you will find that there is no engine sound at all, just head banger rock'n'roll lol (tongue firmly in cheek). Geez I hate those videos.

Yes, on my 43'MY the 6-71's are a tad noisy, but you certainly don't need to shout, but all the way across the bridge I find that I do raise my voice a tad, at full cruise in rough seas. Actually, if you go forward, you will find that the wind and sound of the water on the hull is far from quiet, but no engine noise up there! Certainly the engine exhausts have a higher sound level that some of the newest yachts that emphasize Buick level quietness. Actually, when at slow idle, going up a no-wake river, they do seem obtrusive...a little boomy.

I have a sound level meter, so if I can remember, I will take some readings at various points in our next run over the Labor Day.

Don't mean to be rude, but my brother in laws 39' Catalina blow boat is quite quiet underway.
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 08-24-2008 at 07:20 PM.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

The 53MY is a little noisy at the helm as you are standing right on top of the engines. It is not bad at 10kts, but at 16kt cruise it can be a little much on a long trip. I normally don't run mine for long at 16kts unless I'm trying to beat a storm. The noise can be reduced by putting new seals in the ER doors as most have never been replaced.

If you don't like the noise, just head on up to the bridge. It's nice and quiet up there. That's the beauty of this design. You have a pilothouse and a bridge.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thanks for the response. I am used to diesels since all my tractors, trucks and current boat are diesel, I'll just have to get used to Two strokes.

Aint nothing sweeter than the sound of a pair of Detroits. It's music to the ears, kind of like a Harley on the open road.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Aint nothing sweeter than the sound of a pair of Detroits. It's music to the ears, kind of like a Harley on the open road.

You ain't just whistling Dixie there, Sky! (then again, your name's not Randy )

K