Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Tuna Fishing economically in New York Bight

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Giovanniello View Post

...You may have already seen theese, but they are always exciting to me.
    Some you tube videos showing something a little different than American Idol or Worlds Ugliest Pet.....

The reason why we go tuna fishing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM93M...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xsyb...eature=related
    OK, I have to admit that I don't fish. But I'm curious about it so I watch the videos that you linked that are from the forties. I also watched a few that were more recent. It seems to be that the fishing was "easier" in the forties. The narator even said that the technique was to hook the tuna as it jumped out of the water so that its momentum would help get it in the boat. He also said that if your timing was off and the tuna got its head down then it required much more effort to land the fish.

NONE of the "modern" videos had tuna flying into the boat like in the forties. ALL of them had someone (or several) gunting and reeling the fish in.

What has changed?

Mark

Images

What has changed is that the fish are all gone. You wont see schools out there where you can literally "walk on the fish" anymore.

We, on the east coast of the USA are regulated by the ICAAT, an international treaty that controls a sustainable harvest of pelagic atlantic tunas to which our government is part of and enforces its subjects to strict adherance.

Other countries that have signed the treaty don't enforce its rules and let their fishermen take size and quantity of fish with a blind eye toward compliance and enforcement.

Those movies are commercial tuna men, not sport fishers. Todays commercial tuna harvesters, as one can imagine, are fishing factories that surround schools of fish with huge nets, then pull the string tight, send divers into the net to free the porpoises, then pump the fish into the hold.

Also we boomers dont have the back muscles and our "yachts" arent set up to fish bait with 15' straight poles....bouncing 100 pounders into the boat, one after the other, will put a serious hurt on flimsy yacht- even a Hatt.

the material age has brought us flashy gold reels with high tech rods that cost $1500 per setup, nobody wants to show off a cane pole on thier 60' sportfisherman.

There was no glitz in fishing from the racks like they did, just landing tonnage. But they damaged a lot of their catch, and now we take much better care of the fish when its landed, immediately bleed and ice the fish, and thats why in 1940 it cost 10 cents per pound and now its worth ten dollars a pound (or a lot more)....particularly bluefin.
    Last edited by Mark Giovanniello; 08-24-2008 at 04:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    Hey Bob that was us !!!!!
    Were you the guys that said something over the radio about being on that coarse for a half hour and the guy came across your Bow !!!

Howard those look like the lights I use but just have one setup for now. We mainly are going for yellow fin and hoping for a sword as a Bonus I will take a picture of my rig.
    Small world out there. What I find interesting is that we hit the yft in that spot Sat late afternoon from around 5:00 til dusk, landing 17 keepers, several throwbacks, and one marlin that we gave a kiss and released. There were 2 other boats working the spot with us, also hitting fish. Come Sunday morning, there had to be 30 boats on the spot. Clearly, someone talks too much on the radio, and I assure you it wasn't us.

BTW, we were on a 42' Ocean (don't tell anybody - I have a reputation to uphold) called the "Carly".
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Hey, Mark! Nice to see you sneak back into Westbrook yesterday. Hope all is well at The Block!!

K

Images

Kevin, maybre catch up with you in the Greenport harbor fest, if were not out on the edge.

If you ever wanted to you could convert that 58 to a nice sword long liner. Captains cabin would sure make a pretty fisholed! Only a passing thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Giovanniello View Post
    Kevin, maybre catch up with you in the Greenport harbor fest, if were not out on the edge.

If you ever wanted to you could convert that 58 to a nice sword long liner. Captains cabin would sure make a pretty fisholed! Only a passing thought...
    Sorry too tell ya but I heard No Seafest!!!!!

Tell ya what I know this weekend!
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

By seafest do you mean the maritime festival? Ill be outside Claudios whoring insurance if you wanna stop by ill buy you a beer

Quote Originally Posted by DuckWalk View Post
    By seafest do you mean the maritime festival? Ill be outside Claudios whoring insurance if you wanna stop by ill buy you a beer
    As one insurance whore to another, I'll take you up on that!

K