Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Get On Board...

Get On Board...

Broke down and ordered up a Marquipt 7 step boarding ladder off the eBay for my 43'MY! Had to get the mounting brackets and a handrail direct from OEM. If anything is as good as sliced bread, this is it. My 91yoa father and 85yoa mother and their bad legs find it absolutely great...my cruise director too! Right now we ride about a foot or so above the dock.

P.s, thought the 7 steps would be overkill, but not so far.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Re: Get On Board...

I would love to see some pics so i can see hoe you mounted the thing!!
    Jim

I've been using an older Marquipt 6-step for some time but it came to me with no handrails. I remember when I inquired there were all sorts of options and they were pretty proud of it all. Just a pair of mounts were $70!

What type of handrail did you get from Marquipt? Did you get the straight one or the curved one? Did you get the teak handrail or the starboard? How much did they charge you?

THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by hatterasboatguy View Post
    I would love to see some pics so i can see hoe you mounted the thing!!

Jim
    On a 43'MY the underside of the gunnel is an exact fit for the Marquipt mounting brackets; the bracket length is slightly less than the underside of the gunnel width. I just brought the brackets up flush with the rub rail which extends down about a 1/16", then measured the C/L. Please note, I measured everything about 12 times! I used the largest SS self tapping screws that would clear the bracket holes (#12 [I think] SS countersunk philips heads ) and at 1" long (3/4" probably enough), drilled through the hull, and then hand screwed them- must hand grunting. Sorry, can't remember the drill pilot hold size, but maybe 13/64's.

For fumble fingers factor, at $40 per, I tied a strong tether to each bracket, then made fast to the ship, during drilling and mounting. I happen to have some leftover copper ground wire from a light fixture I keep in my bosun's bag and I used that as tether. Waste not, want not...

I'll get pix around Labor Day and post.
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 08-24-2008 at 02:34 PM. Reason: update

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdHatt View Post
    I've been using an older Marquipt 6-step for some time but it came to me with no handrails. I remember when I inquired there were all sorts of options and they were pretty proud of it all. Just a pair of mounts were $70!

What type of handrail did you get from Marquipt? Did you get the straight one or the curved one? Did you get the teak handrail or the starboard? How much did they charge you?

THANKS!
    I got the bare bones anodized aluminum units, i.e. no starboard plastic or teak handrail attached to the top.

However, on the recommendation of Marquipt, I did get the rail that curves outward at the bottom, to more easily clear the waistline for ease of passage. That configuration has received good reviews from users. Also, if I choose to install a second rail, the outward curvature of each would ensure a wide passage with both in place.

They are super easy to install and remove. Slip the vertical rail/bar down into the mounting holes in the ladder, until they bottom on the slight lip at the end of the hole, then tighten the cross-hatch knobs.

The rail and brackets came shipped in cardboard box heavy wrapped in bubble wrap and were in good shape. The staff at Marquipt were very friendly and reminded me of SAM's.