Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RUM - THE boat alcohol!

I have been a huge fan of Mt Gay rum since the early 1980's when a former US Navy friend introduced me to it. I was a confirmed Bacardi drinker, believing it to be the best rum around. He showed me the error of my ways and I've been a Mt Gay drinker since then. HOWEVER...

Recently the admiral went to Cuba for a meeting and I went along to carry her bags. I discovered Havana Club rum...GREAT STUFF!!!!!!!!!! Unfortunately, it cannot be purchased in the US.

If there is no other reason to hope for a change in US/Cuba relations, this is it. Great Stuff! Oh, I already said that...

But there is a bright spot - it IS available here in Mexico and it's now the only rum I drink here. I wonder if I can take it from here into the US when I fly to Las Vegas next Sunday? Probably not from a strictly legal point of view but if the customs folks don't actually look...

On that note, I'm going to pour another. HARRRRR

NOTE: the "havana club" sold by Bacardi (YECH) in the US is NOT the same rum.
    Last edited by MikeP; 08-12-2008 at 07:09 PM. Reason: add info

Re: RUM - THE boat alcohol!

dont get me started on Havana Nights... the french company (Ricard ??) who holds the right to the Havana Nights labels after buying it from Castro and Co. is/was suing Bacardi to stop them from using the name in the US. how about that... Bacardi was the owner of the label, stolen by Castro...

anyway...

We usually get Barbancourt (Haitian Rum). it's real good, has a nice flavor.

one of my favorite rum drinks are the Ti'Punch from the French Islands (they make good rum there too)... it's just rum with a little bit of sugar cane syrup (which you cant' find here... :-( )

even better, soak some tropical fruits in rum (white rum) for a couple of weeks and serve also with a little but of sugar cane syrup (or just sugar based syrup). with a couple of ice cubes.

any fruits... banana, mango, passion fruit, pineapple, guava, etc....
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Sorry. If it's summer, it's Tanqueray.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

After spending many years in Barbados at a vacation home we owned there (sold last winter) we came to enjoy Foursquare rum, and ESA Field rum both favorites of the locals. Mt Gay has the name and an excellent product, but there are some other very good Bajan rum choices. There is also a wonderful Barbados rum creme liquer called "Crisma" that I have not found anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    Sorry. If it's summer, it's Tanqueray.
    Nah, Bob. Summer, Winter, Spring, or Fall, it's Bombay Sapphire!

K

I can't believe you call yourself boaters and do not drink Capt Morgan! With coke nothing better.

Mike, nothing stopping you from putting it in an empty Bacardi bottle.

MikeP, one of my dockmates, Melissa, is an American Airlines pilot. She files out of the country all the time and brings back bottles and bottles and bottles of Mt. Gay. So, we always have it on the table when she's around. And...when I see the Mt. Gay bottle, I always think of you. LOL Frankly, I had never heard of it before you mentioned it. It's pretty darn good!
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

I stock Mt Gay, Bacardi, Capt Morgan, Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire, and a few other labels on board. You can't have too many bottles when you just don't know who might stop by. But for me, it's definately the Tanqueray.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

A few years ago, after a nice trip from Maine across the Bay of Fundy, I went to clear Fanfare in with Canadian Customs at Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. I had all the forms, passports, ship's papers, etc. But I wasn't prepared for the officer's question, "How much liquor do you have aboard?"

"Jees," I said, "I don't know. How much do you have at your house? I've got bottles with a tiny bit, bottles half full, but no cases of anything. We're living on board. When a bottle gets empty I buy a new one." (Visions of pouring Grannie's "Triple Sex" for Margaritas down the drain!) "It's all ship's stores, no gifts or anything."

"Would you say you had about one full bottle for every person on board?" asked the customs man.

(Catching on) "Oh, yeah, I guess that's about right."

It does get me thinking that maybe I should go through and dump everything I haven't poured in the last two years. Driving up here last month Canadian Customs searched our car for the first time. Maybe I have a record now.

If anyone's near Chester, Nova Scotia, on Mahone Bay about 50 mi. from Halifax, give me a call. This is Chester Race Week, but after that I have a free dock. (902) 275-3383.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932