Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Re: 1965 41 DCMY Refit

You might want to investigate Marine Manifolds in Farmingdale, NY. Owner's name is Paul. He made duplicate risers for my prior Atlantic 44 with twin Perkins 6.354's. Risers were of cupro-nickel and exact duplicates of originals. Necessary to send him originals.
    Paul Schlechter
    41 Double Cabin 1964

Thanks - I've sent a request for a quote to Paul.

Regarding manifold rebuild: I sent a request for pricing with photos of the old risers to 4 companies that advertise fabricating custom risers. I did not get a response from any of them. I don't know if something about my request caused them to think I was not serious, business is very good, or they only want to build standard designs and are not really able to build true "custom" risers.

The new risers will be completed by the end of February by a boiler maintenance contractor I sometimes collaborate with in my consulting business. These guys are real welders and have had a ball fabricating the risers. They look like jewelry. I'm going to the shop in New Hampshire week after next to finalize the location and orientation of the raw water inlet fittings.

We are getting very close to splashing. Maybe in another couple of months. I've attached a photo of one of the new SS exhaust risers fabricated by a boiler repair company I sometime work with in my consulting business (Bremco in NH if you need any seriously good welding).

I've also attached a photo of the center engine room hatch. If you look close you'll see a gas strut support on the right side. This strut is unique (in my experience) in that it latches when in the fully raised position so the hatch can't suddenly close if the becomes weak over time. We've installed these struts on all engine room hatches. To close the hatch you tap the area where you see the yellow label with your foot to release the latch. The aluminum rod you see adjacent to the strut is a backup support rod.

Also attached is a photo of the port SS Hatteras Check logos I had made. There is an identical logo on the starboard side and in the cluster of instruments (parameter, thermometer, etc) in the saloon.
    Attached Images

How long since you started. I remember this started a while back didnt it?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

August 2008

Nice! Can't wait for the report as you wrap things up.

DAN

Time for an update: The exhaust flanges returned from Jet Hot today - see photo. They are coated on the inside and outside with their 1300 corrosion protection coating, then a coat of marine gold coating on the exhaust touched surfaces. Hopefully this coating will avoid ever having to find replacement exhaust flanges again. Based on the one new I bought from DDC a few months ago (they located 4 in Germany at almost $900 each) they seem to be getting rare.

Installing the new SS risers into the flanges and mounting them is the last significant work before splashing.

My 32 year old Jabsco 7" chrome remote control spotlight got less controllable a few weeks ago. A replacement drive uint is available at just under $400. I opted to by a new light (exactly like the original except only spot, not spot/flood) instead for just over $900. I'll probably never use it for spare parts, but I'm a pack rat by nature. I was pleasantly surprised that new light and parts are still available, although unreasonably pricey. I was even more surprised when West Marine had the lowest price on the new light.

Tuck Philips of TMS National is coming to town next Tuesday to survey Loose Change. I hope to splash within a few more weeks if my travel schedule doesn't get in the way.Exhaust Flange Jet Hot copy.jpg

The Jet Hot coating(s) look good--what did that cost if you don't mind me asking?

DAN

The coating cost $35 per flange. The shipping and insurance cost as much as the coating. They turned them around in about 1 week.