Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Re: 1965 41 DCMY Refit

Details of the new Saloon A/C installation have come together. The horizontal box at the top (where the discharge grills are installed) is removable, as are the vertical interior panels. This permits use of the forward window openings (now solid panels) for getting the refrig, furniture, etc. into the the boat. The horizontal box with the grill openings will be varnished mahogany and meet the fore-aft mahogany upper sidewall valence boards at each side. The vertical panels will be upholstered to match the saloon upper sidewalls.

The evaporator goes in the new compartment at the top of the V Berth closet. The evaporator didn't need the entire width of the closet, so a tall-narrow storage space on the port side of the evaporator enclosure is accessed via a new cabinet door in the forward head.

I hope I got the new file attachment procedure right.
    Attached Images

Since the new refrig is 3" deeper than the old one, I'm concerned that even with the door off it may not fit through the front window opening. We have built a light weight 3 dimensional template of the regrig without its door to find out before the refit work in this area is finalized. I hope it's not necessary, but we can make the small shelf under the windshield (starboard side) removable if necessary to make the effective opening larger.

I mistakenly attached the template photo to the previous post. I've attached the Saloon A/C evaporator enclosure photo to this post.

The deeper refrg also required extending the Saloon bar top and port side 3" forward so that the refrig doesn't hang out into the galley. The starboard-lower-aft galley cabinet door also had to be moved forward 3" to clear the new refrig. It's a big pain that all the refrig manufacturers decided to make the 14 cu.ft. box a 15 cu ft. But, I'm very glad they did it now rather than after all this refit work is completed.
    Attached Images

Modification of the V Berth is now finished and only needs the new headliner and upholstery on the hull sides.

Originally the upholstery was applied directly to the hull sides with only a 1/4" layer of foam. This left the ports sitting proud on an upholstered oval ring about 3/4" thick.

The hull sides in the V Berth have had battens and new oval plywood rings added to support thin plywood panels away from the hull side. These panels will be upholstered. The space behind has been insulated. The ports will sit on 3/16" thick varnished mahogany oval rings. The perforated Nautalex headliner has been replaced with thin plywood panels with insulation behind. These panels will have the new headliner installed as a last step.
    Attached Images

I have a 1965 41DC as well - and I've been through many similar projects. One thing that I suggest you consider if you plan to spend a lot of time on board is a washer dryer combo. LG makes a 120V model that fits under kitchen counter tops. Washer and dryer combo unit! The unit (which is the size of a small washer) can fit in the front berth locker, and it would be very convenient!
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

We've owned this boat since '82 and lived aboard for many years. During her first refit we installed a stacked apartment size washer and dryer in the V berth closet. During her second refit (early '90s) we replaced that with a Splindide combo washer/dryer. While the Splindide is still in perfect condition, I removed it in the interest of reducing unnecessary weight.

I have now discovered that sagging of the galley/forward head floor and distortion of the V berth closet walls is due to placing the washer/dryer there. The combination of added weight (that Hatteras never anticipated in this location) and removal of the rear sidewall of the V berth closet (reducing stiffness of the structure) resulted in sagging of the floor in this area, mis-fit of the forward head door in its frame, and bulging of both sidewalls of the V berth closet.

We have repaired and stabilized all of this, but I have learned a lesson. Be very careful adding substantial loads to the interior where the designer didn't anticipate them.

Akin - I'm not suggesting that a washer/dryer is not worthwhile for long cruises or live a boards. I thought long and hard about removing the unit and doing without the convenience. I guess my point is that if I had known years ago what impact my actions would have on the structure I would have at lease added blocks between the floor support beams and the stringers, or otherwise reinforced the support beams to prevent load-related distortions.

By the way - the Splindide needs a new home.

Lightbulb Re: 1965 41 DCMY Refit

Quote Originally Posted by akintosyali View Post
    I have a 1965 41DC as well - and I've been through many similar projects. One thing that I suggest you consider if you plan to spend a lot of time on board is a washer dryer combo. LG makes a 120V model that fits under kitchen counter tops. Washer and dryer combo unit! The unit (which is the size of a small washer) can fit in the front berth locker, and it would be very convenient!
    what model is it?
    "I hate cruising on sailboats. They are slow, cramped, difficult to handle, and cave-like down below. If God had meant for man to cruise on sailboats he would not have created Detroit Diesel!"Spindrift

Work continues on Loose Change. Varnishing of the new and modified interior mahogany is in progress. I've attached a photo of a miniature the carpenter made of the entertainment center planned for the aft saloon wall. This piece is now being fabricated.
    Attached Images

Exclamation Re: 1965 41 DCMY Refit

I am STILL interested in the Splendide

Time for a progress report.

The new cabinet work for the flat screen TV (40" LCD/LED) and drawer/cabinet below the TV is almost complete. New mahogany valence boards have been fabricated above the saloon windows and across the front of the saloon ceiling. The work to relocate the saloon A/C evaporator is also complete. The finished height of the valence boards over the side windows has not yet been determined since we haven't settled on the window coverings that must hide behind these boards. I'll post some photos of all this soon.

Allot of time has been spent during the last couple of months varnishing the new interior mahogany. One of the grain matched drawer fronts in the new port-side saloon lower wall got damaged. After several attempts to replace the damage area with new veneer, Rivolta decided to replace the whole wall. This work is not yet completed. The new L-shaped port-side couch, port-side lower saloon wall, and starboard-side lower saloon wall were constructed to be removable without damaging the finish or needing to remove/replace/refinish bungs that hide screws. This is to provide future access to deck hardware through-bolts and backing plates, hoses, etc. that are located behind the walls. It's a pretty cleaver arrangement and looks great.

The electrician has routed new wiring to all the locations that will get new LED lights. He has also installed new 12VDC switches for the LED lights. When we're done, all lights (nav and interior) will be 12VDC LED. The all new 120VAC and 12VDC breaker/meter panel has been designed and ordered. The 120VAC breakers are now arranged to segregated the inverter circuits and include the A/C circuits in the main panel. They were previously in a separate panel in the starboard-side book case. The rotary shore power switches have been eliminated and replaced with mechanically interlocked main breakers. The total number of AC and DC breakers has been increased (plus spares) to include separate breakers for all the equipment on board. Before, many items added since Hatteras built her were ganged up on the few existing breakers. Amazingly, the new AC and DC panels will fit into the original space. To accomplish this access to the back of the panel will be from the rear via the master stateroom closet. The original panel front was hinged and required some wiring to be flexible. Rear-access simplifies the wiring and saves space. This closet already has a hinged rear wall exposing the rear of the breaker panel. The new shore power cord retractor is installed, wired and tested.

We elected to use high pressure laminate on the horizontal cabinet surfaces to save weight and facilitate reusing the original mahogany fiddles. We are also using high pressure laminate for the walls and ceilings in both heads. These laminates are ordered and the walls prepared for their installation. The galley, saloon, and forward head counter surfaces are prepped for laminate, but the aft head counter and cabinet work must be reworked to fit a new sink and faucet. This cabinet will also get mahogany veneer (varnished) rather than painting it like the original. Likewise, the cabinet base in the forward head gets varnished veneer.