Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New swim platform

I think this may have been discussed in a previous post but I can not find it. We are making a bigger swim step and are going to make new brackets. I know the brackets are screwed into a plate glassed into the hull. Does any one know if the screws for the brackets go through the plate or just into it? Can I remove a bracket in the water or will I end up with a leak to the inside of the boat from the screw hole? Thanks, John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Re: New swim platform

Removing the brackets in the water, even if you don't wind up with a leak, do you really want water to get into that cavity where the bolt goes?
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Why even try to do it in the water. Pull the boat and block it. Remove the old. Modify as needed to Install the new.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The reason for doing in water is they want an old bracket as a sample to make the new brackets, just thought I could give them more time if we were not out of the water at hundreds of dollars a day for lay days, but that is probably what we are going to have to do, no big thing, it's only money and who wants to leave that to my kids anyway, John. Thanks all for input
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406

On mine there is def a few bolt that go all the way through the hull to the inside. I wouldn't try to to it in the water.

I looked through some of my photos and found these two that show the bolts. I'm not sure if they are oem or not sorry the pics aren't that clear
    Attached Images

My 1981 48MY has a combination of fasteners. Those that are accessible are through bolts with washers and nuts, but two screw into the aft end of stringers and these are SS lag bolts which are still tight after all these years (but may not be OEM). BTW, I found serious corrosion on the brackets a couple of years after I bought the boat, so added zincs to the brackets and bonded them to the ships system. Problem solved.

Bobk

On my '81 43DCMY, swim platform bolts fasten through the hull. (See pic...bolt next to hose with zip tie attached). Not sure why yours would be different. Don't think you want to remove in water. If you can do it, wait til you have other work (bottom job) that requires haul out and and have done then. Also, at time of haul out, may want to look into rebedding any galvanic strap bolts attached to swim platform as well as platform bolts. These are susceptible to leaking at some point as evidenced by my pic.
    Attached Images

Thanks everyone decision made will haul and have new brackets made while doing a bottom job. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406

do you have any tanks across the transom? on my 58yf there is only 1 inch of clearance between the inside of the transom and the water tank across the back of the boat. BE CAREFUL if drilling, tapping, or using long bolts