Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Twin Disc shifting

Wifey has a habit of shifting from forward to reverse or vice versa in a single motion, and I am sometimes challenged to remain calm when that happens. Looking in the Twin Disc Manual it appears to be perfectly OK at idle speeds. Am I reading that right?
    Attached Images

Re: Twin Disc shifting

I've always worried more about snapping a shaft than damaging our TD 5114a's when aggressively fighting a fish or around the dock, very rare to be aggressive around the dock though.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hatt Craig View Post
    Wifey has a habit of shifting from forward to reverse or vice versa in a single motion, and I am sometimes challenged to remain calm when that happens. Looking in the Twin Disc Manual it appears to be perfectly OK at idle speeds. Am I reading that right?
    Skipper saver buddy.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    I've always worried more about snapping a shaft than damaging our TD 5114a's when aggressively fighting a fish or around the dock, very rare to be aggressive around the dock though.
    The drive plate, fastened to the flywheel is designed to absorb that load. Not to mention the 5114 A B or HD are all robust gear boxes.

With care they will out live almost any engine! And should trouble develop they can be rebuilt in place.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY