Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Replacing Washer/ Dryer On 53 Fbmy

Best Solution Is?

Best Price And Vendor Is?

Best Way To Get It Down The Spiral Stairs?

Re: Replacing Washer/ Dryer On 53 Fbmy

Angela just replaced hers on a 58 my. here's the title of the thread with picts. Not the Dreaded Friggin' Dryer!!!!! Just search for that it's not back to far.
    Mike

Best Solution - I highly recommend the Bosch Axxis series 3.4 cubic feet capacity washer (the largest in that series) and the vented dryer - they stacking units, both are front loading. A condensation dryer takes a long time to dry. The Bosch Axxis was the only one I could find on the market today (that's the key - what's available TODAY) that would in the 24" space I had. Others will tell you about certain models they installed that are made by Whirlpool, Maytag, etc., but I could not those in the sizes I needed. It seems manufacturers are making washer/dryers just a little bigger today. And if you go, a year from now, looking for what I just installed, you won't find it either. They change the model numbers and sometimes the styles every year like car manufacturers.

Best Price and Vendor - After all the shopping around I did and waiting and waiting while the units were on backorder across the country, I finally found the best price to be a sale at Sears. Even if not on sale, they are eager to give you the sale price to make a sale. I even got free delivery without having to do the "free delivery rebate" thing. The sales people DO have the ability to override that when you're purchasing and just give you free delivery. Bosch stuff isn't cheap, but I had no choice since that's the only thing that would fit. Bosch is high quality, though. I paid around $1,600 for the stacking set. If you buy the smaller capacity washer, you'll save a little money, but since the footprint was the same for the small capacity of large, I chose large.

Best way to get it down the spiral stairs - Not gonna happen, not on my boat anyway. If your dinette is open to the stairway like some 53s are, you might do it. I have a wall making the crew dinette private, and a door between the PH and the salon/galley through which the units would not fit. They did not fit through the PH doors either. So, down the forward hatch we went! We had to hoist them over the railing to the bow - not fun. The washer is the heaviest at 164 pounds. We had to remove the glass doors on the washer and dryer in order to get them to fit down the hatch.

Tools you'll need:

4 strong guys
    An Admiral to supervise
    3-4 cases of cold quality beer (don't insult your help with cheap beer)
    6 pizzas
    Some rope to lower it down through the hatch
    A skinny guy or gal who can fit in the crew closet and get enough of himself/herself behind the installed washer/dryer to finish hooking it up
    A few blankets or moving pads to protect the interior
    A cordless screwdriver

Here's the link where I posted demolition/installation photos: http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9597

Have you removed the old washer/dryer yet?
    Last edited by Angela; 08-05-2008 at 06:21 PM.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

frank Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gflane View Post
    Best Solution Is?

Best Price And Vendor Is?

Best Way To Get It Down The Spiral Stairs?

Whirlpool $958.00
    Both the old and new fit down/up the stairs and through the cabin door(had to remove one side of the trim molding). Check the heigth on the new unit as it is taller than the original. Was able to use the same wood panels to hide the laundry center.
    You may want to consider a stacking front load as you may need to customize front panels/doors and they fit down the bow hatch. They are also better machines then the top load type.