Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Good Boat Magazines

I need some new reading material for the train ride to work and was wondering what you guys subscribe to as far as yachting magazines go. I like reading how-to articles, both mechanical and seamanship, as well as good ports to visit – especially in the North East. Thanks!

Re: Good Boat Magazines

"Passagemaker" is a very good magazine.

This borders on the smart@$$, but have you looked at Northeast Boating Magazine?

Exactly what you describe. The how-to is a little basic sometimes, but they cover fishing, waterfront destinations, marinas, waterfront dining, etc. from South Jersey to Maine. They also do Coast Guard incident reports and have an events calendar that's pretty extensive, it covers boat shows, museum events and the like.

It used to be Offshore, they just changed the name recently.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I love reading Boats & Harbors.

No articles, no nonsense, focuses on the commercial trade but man you can find some cool stuff.

Check out "Power Cruising" Its my new fav. http://www.powercruisingmag.com/index.jsp

"Southern Boating" is pretty good and they have a good variety of articles. Passagemaker is excellent for a real cruisers perspective and you can't beat Showboats International for dreaming. Yachttrader helps to keep an eye on the market.

I read "Sea" to keep up with my west coast roots, Passagemaker, and Motorboating, which has good "how to" articles and regular articles on cruising destinations. All are subject to what are basically advertorials for boat and equipment makers, and Passagemaker is particularly unashamed in that regard. They do have the most detailed and relevant technical articles for our kind of boating.

As mentioned above the commercial rags like Marine Reporter are vicarious fun for insight into what the big guys are up to.

George

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Giovanniello View Post
    I stopped reading recreational boating mags.... tired of the ads and editorials by those who guess alot.

Try "Maritime Reporter and Engineering News" if you want to know whats really happening,

or just stick to the forum to feed your curiosity.
    Also try Professional Mariner...good content. I enjoy Lakeland Boating, unless of course you are on the Ocean. PM above is good...lots of content.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

I like Yachting, Power & Motoryacht, Motorboating, Lakeland Boating, Powerboat Cruising, Hemmings and Wood magazines. Yes, the last 2 are a good balance for the first 4, always something in those also, which applies to boating.
    Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan