Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

New Washer/Dryer Installation

Have any of you recently replace your “stacking” washer/dryer in a 53MY, 58MY or 58YF?

Here’s the deal...my dryer went belly up and the unit is the original - it’s 28 years old. What a run it had! My mother has offered to buy the boat a new unit. Smart woman...stroking the check is the easy part...stuffing the new appliance down the hatch is another matter.

Maybe it can be fixed, maybe not, and maybe it’s not worth it. I know the bearings are shot and those weren’t cheap in terms of parts versus a new unit; perhaps the belt is broken; and who know what kind of condition the old motor is in. The control knobs are touchy and need some attention or replacement. My concern is that when we get it out in the next couple of days, that there may be more to fix than makes financial sense.

Now...can anyone provide me with the particular brand and model number with which you have replaced your old unit, if you replaced it with a stacking unit. I am not at all interested in the combo units that wash and dry all in the same machine. And then...how did you get it down there? I’ve heard some people talk about stuffing it down the forward hatch. This is why I’m asking for brand and model numbers - to see what fits. My hatch, with all teak trim removed and taken down the bare fiberglass cut-out is 24.5" x 25".

The new models I’m seeing these days are 24" by 27". With those dimensions, disassembly comes into play, but I want to hear other’s experiences, if you have them, before committing to a plan.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Re: New Washer/Dryer Installation

If Mom is stroking the check find someone to do the entire job key Turn Key. Sit back and relax.

you have a PM

garyd
    Have Fun Boating

My wife loves her new Bosch Axxis stacking separates. They are combined with a piece that forms a pull out shelf. I will eMail pics. 58YF and they fit easily down the stairs and through the galley door.
    Washer WFL2050
    width 23 5/8"
    depth 22 1/2"
    height 33 1/2"
    weight 152 lbs.

Dryer WTA 4410
    width 23 5/8"
    depth 23 5/8 "
    height 33 1/3"
    weight 101 lbs.
    Combiner/shelf WTZ11340UC

width 23 5/8"
    depth 23/ 5/8"
    heigth 1 3/4"
    weight 7 lbs.

Whirlpool Washer LHW0050P

Whirlpool 240v dryer with vent LEW0050P

I bought them at Lowe's and they really work great. Admiral says the clothes come out softer than her Maytag's at home! Plastic casings with stainless bowls, no more than 23.5" wide and around 67" tall with both stacked.

Tough to beat on a boat from my research.

GOOD LUCK!

I have seen the Bosch units and they look virtually identical to the Whirlpool units that I have with the same exterior dimensions. I believe that they are the same under the surface as the Whirlpool ones. I think they are (were?) all made by Maytag.

We looked at both Whirlpool and the Bosch units..While they are close in size and they are both white washer and dryers they are like Mercedes and Chevrolet. The Bosch were made in Germany. Whirlpool/MayTag/Kenmoreetc made in Arkansas...Many parts metal vs. metal

Quote Originally Posted by Dustoff44 View Post
    We looked at both Whirlpool and the Bosch units..While they are close in size and they are both white washer and dryers they are like Mercedes and Chevrolet. The Bosch were made in Germany. Whirlpool/MayTag/Kenmoreetc made in Arkansas...Many parts metal vs. metal
    I too, am familiar with the Bosch quality and there IS a difference! I put a Bosch dishwasher in my house when I built it. I would often open it while it was running just to see if it was running. Bosch has good stuff! I'll shop for both though and see what makes sense. Got the photos - thanks. I'm not sure I can get them down the stairs. You probably have the back side of your dinette open to the stairs. I'm a 4 SR, galley up model, so I have a doorway to enter the crew room right at the bottom of the curved stairs with a wall running from the doorway over to the hullside.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    There's a $10,000 insurance premium coming up in August.
    $10,000 ?

OMG, the price of paradise is not cheap.

I think you need to charge more for the B&B.

My brief research so far is showing the those model numbers aren't valid anymore - they've still got the units in that size, just different model number, probably to reflect newer product in terms of model year. I can't tell you how delighted I am to find something that I can stuff down the hatch.

I told Mom about the Whirlpool and Bosch units. She's all about "quality" (especially when it comes to washer/dryers) and doing the job once, and tells me to go for the Bosch even though it will cost quite a bit more over the Whirlpool. Frankly, I'll be happy with ANYTHING! But, let's see what's available to me for either in-store pick up or next day delivery while I have the help around to get it in in the event we decide not to repair the old one. This is going to require a boat ride! LOL Gotta drive all 100' to the fuel dock just to be able to load and unload the goods to the bow since none of this stuff goes through my doors.

Still, we haven't made the decision to replace, but I want to be ready to pull that trigger if that's the ultimate decision. The advice and leads all of you have given me are much appreciated. I wanted to have this homework done before pulling out the old one. A washer/dryer is a very vital appliance in my scenario, and one that can't be out of order for any real length of time.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    This is going to require a boat ride! LOL Gotta drive all 100' to the fuel dock just to be able to load and unload the goods to the bow since none of this stuff goes through my doors..
    When I first read that I thought you might be going for a boat ride in order to create a new artificial reef. The old one has to go somewhere, right?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI