Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: GRP Osmotic Blisters

I can offer some first hand advice having owned a 72 53' Hatt for over 15 yrs. The blisters were many, some the size of dinner plates. After receiving many quotes and methods of repair ranging from $12-20k and expert advice from others not to do anything except grind out and repair the really bad ones each bottom job I decided to do nothing else. Additionally, even at the local hatteras dealer, the warranty was just one year - imagine, no confidence, even with a charge of 20k ! Long story short - No structural or other problems surfaced after 15yrs. So, save your money, do necessary cosmetics at haul out and take a nice vacation on the 20k!

2. Re: GRP Osmotic Blisters

Gigabite had a blister job done on her before I bought her by the previous owner at Norseman.

I can't speak to the quality or "depth" of the job as obviously I didn't buy it or witness it, but there were a few small "boat pox" on the bottom the times I had her out, none of which bothered me enough to get involved in fixing them.

If I had been inclined to sodablast her for fairing or old paint removal purposes I might have gone ahead and done something about it, but frankly, having drilled a couple of holes in the bottom and having filled one (removed a transducer) to compromise that laminate would have been quite a trick. The one hole-saw core I took out of her for transducer installation purposes was absolutely NOT compromised in any way, shape or form; you could have used it as a hockey puck, all the way down to the layer facing the water.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Sky

I cannot help myself in not ignoring any problems such as keeping the bottom as smooth as possible to cut down resistance. I have noted that many of talk about re-proping, gearing, etc. for speed and fuel economy. With a fouled hull you are not approaching performance from a systems approach. When I worked as a volunteer during college on America's Cups boats we pulled the hulls every night, cleaned, applied polish and buff. Granted Hatteras' are not race boats but they will surely operate below designed efficency with fouled hulls.

Interestingly, I have noted a lot of boats lingering on the market. In fact, only 3 53MYs have sold this year vs. 16 in 2007. Maybe this is a function of the economic slowdown, fuel prices, consumer confidence. But many (sadly most) that I have looked at have not been properly maintained. To me, I look first at the condition of the hull, machinery, then exterior finish. The last thing I care about is any interior upgrades. Without a good heart... doing anything else to a yacht is a waste of time and effort.

If you read the book about Mr. Hargrave and his designs you will note how at times he complained to builders and owners about overloading his designs with excessive equipment which increased weight and reduced performance. He was also an avid sailor. I have no doubt where he would stand on this question of hull condition.

Spin

Quote Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
    Sky

I cannot help myself in not ignoring any problems such as keeping the bottom as smooth as possible to cut down resistance. I have noted that many of talk about re-proping, gearing, etc. for speed and fuel economy. With a fouled hull you are not approaching performance from a systems approach. When I worked as a volunteer during college on America's Cups boats we pulled the hulls every night, cleaned, applied polish and buff. Granted Hatteras' are not race boats but they will surely operate below designed efficency with fouled hulls.

Interestingly, I have noted a lot of boats lingering on the market. In fact, only 3 53MYs have sold this year vs. 16 in 2007. Maybe this is a function of the economic slowdown, fuel prices, consumer confidence. But many (sadly most) that I have looked at have not been properly maintained. To me, I look first at the condition of the hull, machinery, then exterior finish. The last thing I care about is any interior upgrades. Without a good heart... doing anything else to a yacht is a waste of time and effort.

If you read the book about Mr. Hargrave and his designs you will note how at times he complained to builders and owners about overloading his designs with excessive equipment which increased weight and reduced performance. He was also an avid sailor. I have no doubt where he would stand on this question of hull condition.

Spin

I agree completely. I just don't want anyone to be scared into "fixing" a Hatteras blister issue because they are afraid that it will become a serious structural problem. If you want to have a smooth bottom to increase performance or because you like to look at it when it's on the hard, then fine. But, to spend $15-30K for fear of a rapidly deteriorating hull is ridiculous.

If I were buying right now, I would look for a boat in the best condition mechanically. But some boat pox on a Hatt hull would not concern me. I wouldn't, however, let the seller know that. I'd use it as a bargaining chip, just as most buyer do. Then I'd pocket the $20K price reduction and use it for more important boat upgrades.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 08-04-2008 at 06:46 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Everything works on my boat. The maintanance is on schedule and performed by me. All too often we "The public" are bombarded with misinformation. When Hatteras starts making a reccomendation regarding osmosis I'll pay closer attention. Otherwise I will continue to believe that these boats are supposed to have a blister here and there and not worry about it. And continue to follow the Manufacturers reccomendations on the rest of the boat and its machinery.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

This guy just recently became a member doesn't own a Hat and has started 3 threads all promoting products he sells. Grumpy? maybe but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by skindr View Post
    I can offer some first hand advice having owned a 72 53' Hatt for over 15 yrs. The blisters were many, some the size of dinner plates. After receiving many quotes and methods of repair ranging from $12-20k and expert advice from others not to do anything except grind out and repair the really bad ones each bottom job I decided to do nothing else. Additionally, even at the local hatteras dealer, the warranty was just one year - imagine, no confidence, even with a charge of 20k ! Long story short - No structural or other problems surfaced after 15yrs. So, save your money, do necessary cosmetics at haul out and take a nice vacation on the 20k!

What is the recommended fill for blisters that are ground out?

Captned

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Degulis View Post
    This guy just recently became a member doesn't own a Hat and has started 3 threads all promoting products he sells. Grumpy? maybe but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out.

Brian

I agree! It's been a while, but I think those with the power should be warming up their "zapping fingers" to delete the advertising. I can read PMY or Yachting for the ads.

K