Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Port Washington, NY - Long Island Sound

Other than Brewer's Capri Marina, can anyone recommend any of the other marinas/yacht clubs in Port Washington for a weekend trip? They would have to accomodate at least two boats in the 55-60' range with 50 amp electric service.
    Larry Kaplan
    Former Owner of
    1980 60' Sportfish

Re: Port Washington, NY - Long Island Sound

We stayed at Manhasset Bay Marina in June; it is walking distance to a complete array of stores (hardware, grocery, marine, liquor, you name it) and restaurants. The onsite restaurant and bar, LaMotta's looked good, though we didn't eat there. Facilities were "average", the staff was friendly and attentive. I don't remember exactly what we paid; they gave us a 10% Boat US discount the first night and something more than that the second. We were docked next to a dinner cruise boat, but it wasn't particularly intrusive. Anyway, if we needed a marina in PW again, we'd stay at MBM again as well. It's a great place to provision if you are mid-cruise.

By the way, the town moorings are free for two nights and the water taxi service goes everywhere, including a dock handy to the shopping.

George

1981 56MY

I know you asked about PW but if your plans are not firm...

I sailed LI sound for several years and although Port Washington's OK, I guess, we only went there once and saw no reason to go back - at least by boat. Though we used to go there by car sometimes. Northport is a much better location. Huntington as well. They are both much smaller, more walking/biking-friendly towns. But a slip for a 60 might be a problem in NPort. Anchorages/moorings are readily available.

I grew up in Port Washington and still live there today. Brewers is your best bet for boats your size (that's where I keep my boat - a 43 DC). Manhasset Bay (your only other option - other marinas like Tom's Point can't handle draft) can be allot cheaper and will make cash deals. Manhasset Bay is tucked into a corner of the bay and not very scenic nor breezy at times. They have one finger dock that can handle boats your size, if on inside finger it will be tight docking. However, anchorages are good on south side of the bay. There is a town dock you can put your dink on about 1 mile from the anchorage area that is the closest walk to town. Great bar/restaurant next to town dock named Louies that is all the (local) rage - they also have free dock space that can accommodate both 55' boats and/or certainly your dink when you eat/drink there - although can be tough to get space on weekends. If you do stay at Brewers, they have a restaurant called “The Waterview”. The food is pretty crappy given the price– I don’t recommend it. If I can help you with anything feel free to email me.
    Last edited by sgharford; 08-04-2008 at 10:26 AM.

We're actually going to Port Washington, NY because we have family in the next town over, Manhassett that are going to come meet up with us. They are five and if all in our family come, it could be 14-20, so while Louie's looks good, it may be hard to get a table (or three). Louis' prixe fixe dinner looks very good, however, with that size group, the bill may get a little high. Is there a place that may also be very good but somewhere between Bad Bob's Barbecue (located at Capri East) and Louie's? Also how does the watertaxi work in Port Jefferson?

Thank your for your help.
    Larry Kaplan
    Former Owner of
    1980 60' Sportfish

La Motta's at MBM would do the trick. There is another BBQ place near the Stop 'n Shop, but it's a little small.

You call the water taxi on Channel 9. They'll answer anything similar to "Port Washington water taxi". It was 8 bucks (a little pricey, but again, the moorings are free) or an all day pass for 25, or something like that.

(516) 455-0411 for details.

George

You could get 15-20 seated at Louies - we had 25 a few years ago for my Grandmother's 90th B-day. It's probably the biggest restaurant in town. Another good place for a crowd that large is Sullivan’s (http://www.sullivansquay.com/) - but is a car ride from the water - the prices are reasonable and food is good. Shish Kabob or Fish Kabob has good food and is short walking distance from Town Dock and could handle your crowd easily too (http://www.ayhansmarketplace.com/res...staurants.aspx). Lamotta's and MB is also very good suggestion - food probably a little better then Louies too if you ask me and not quite as crowded although I like the ambiance of Louies better (better views of the water and bar scenes allot more fun). Matt Meyran runs the local water taxi (http://www.portwatertaxi.com/) that George made mention of - just be careful how late you stay out. My brother used him last week after hours and got charged $60. Not sure when normal rate ends, but I would ask.

Louie"s is a nautical classic, although it was totallt redone about 5 years ago. The original had lots of pictures and burgees. The movie "Meet the Parents" used it for a scene in which the family went out for a big dinner, while the cat trashed the house. That was the original Louie's.
    45C360-1970 ... "Good Bait" - Sag Harbor,NY
    31 Bertram Bahia Mar-1970 ... "Bertramp" - Ft Lauderdale
    21 Whaler Impact-1996 ... Ft Lauderdale, FL/Sag Harbor, NY

Lamotta's is my pick. Lots of boat racing history there, and is still the headquarters for the Gold Cup Manhasset gofast poker run, held every year.

Should have no problem getting space for multiple boats.