Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stiff prop shaft

One last question guys. My boat has three cutless bearings per shaft and a dripless packing gland. The prop is VERY hard to turn by hand suggesting I'm wasting fuel. My diver tells me the other Hatts in the basin take much less effort to spin the wheels while in the water. I've probably put 800 hours on her this way, and the PO probably had even more. I don't see any issues like hot cutless etc. Should I be concerned, and if so where should I look.

Bob

Re: Stiff prop shaft

Does the clutch drag at all? Do the shafts spin some cold at idle while in neutral? You may not have tight cutlass bearings at all, just transmissions with tired springs on the clutch packs.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

This could be the cause.
    Attached Images
    Have Fun Boating

Check the alignment at the transmission coupling. The engine may be out of alignment in relationship to the centerline of the propshaft.

Quote Originally Posted by garyd View Post
    This could be the cause.

I think your right Garyd I had no stiffiness at all until I read your post

As for the boat I would look at alignment not only the engine alignment but the bearing to bearing alignment.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Degulis View Post
    I think your right Garyd I had no stiffiness at all until I read your post

As for the boat I would look at alignment not only the engine alignment but the bearing to bearing alignment.

Brian

Second that!

Lenz

7. Re: Stiff prop shaft

Bobk...above posts are good advice. maybe somebody used a wrong size cutlass bearing....

Any vibration?....

A good way to start is to disconnect the shaft coupling from the transmission coupling and see if the shaft when disconnected turns much more easily than when connected ....this can be done in the water...if you are uncertain, disconnect the other engine shaft and compare twist resistance....

Several years ago I noted my port shaft was more difficult to turn than my starboard; yet when I checked it again at the end of that season, it was fine...never did figure that out....maybe rope/cord wrapped around/in a cutlass....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Funny, cuda's usually dont do that to me.....

Captned
    MBMM

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Does the clutch drag at all? Do the shafts spin some cold at idle while in neutral? You may not have tight cutlass bearings at all, just transmissions with tired springs on the clutch packs.
    Both shafts are equally hard to turn. Sky, I don't understand the spring issue, but if the shafts can be turned reasonably easy when disconnected, do I need to get into the transmissions? I'll check to see if the shafts turn at idle/neutral this weekend.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    Both shafts are equally hard to turn. Sky, I don't understand the spring issue, but if the shafts can be turned reasonably easy when disconnected, do I need to get into the transmissions? I'll check to see if the shafts turn at idle/neutral this weekend.

Bob
    If the shafts turn easily when detached from the trans, then you may have an alignment issue. If the alignment checks out, then the resistance is within the transmission. I had this problem with my Allisons. One of them would drag while idling in neutral. Upon disassembly we found the 8 (I think) springs that release the clutch plate were compressed and needed replacement. Once we put the new springs in, we no longer had shafts that spun while idling in neutral and they were much easier to spin by hand with the engines shut off.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI