Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: does diesel go bad

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    here are some more questions. this [diesel] could possibly be kerosene. it was used for a basement heating unit. it has no water in it, it has a red color to it, it smells like diesel but not as strong of an odor. i have never heard of diesel being used as a home heating source. my questions are: if this is kerosene, does it go bad? can i filter it and run it in my boat? [i have heard that kerosene is a more refined version of diesel ?] should i just kill grass with it? it turns out that it is only about 125 gallons, not 300 as originally thought. it is still about 500 dollars worth of fuel if good, if not i have a lot of weed killer, and a 300 gallon tank to boot. thanks for your opinions. bigbill
    You can burn Kerosene in a DD it does not have the lubricating qualities of diesel but there is no need to worry about that unless your using it for years. It burns very clean but produces less power than diesel fuel. Engines with injection pumps in line or rotary should not use kersone because of the lack of lubricants.

Home heating oil can be used in diesels but it is not filtered as well and the cetane rating is lower. So you should use a cetane booster and expect more frequent filter changes.

In FL all "off road" high sulfer diesel is dyed red it is not legal for on road use. Large trucks are checked pick up's almost never. I was checked in a pick up and got fined for high sulfer fuel. The DOT pulled some fuel saw it was red and issued the fine. I went to court with it based on the idea that red fuel was not conclusive proof that it was high sulfer. I found several additives that turn fuel red. The judge agreed with me and threw it out.

Marine pumps in FL all supply off road dyed diesel it is legal for use in recreational boats in FL.

Brian

Re: does diesel go bad

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    Below is a copy/paste on legal requirements for dyed diesel. Look at the bottom and note penalties associated with using dyed diesel in recreation boats. WTF??? Is that prohibition something new??

Motor Fuel Requirements

What are the specific requirements of dyed diesel?
    The fuel must be dyed prior to the removal at the terminal rack.
    The dyed diesel must be properly labeled.

What does "properly labeled" mean?
    Storage tanks, containers, or facilities must be labeled with a legible & conspicuous notice stating "Dyed Diesel Fuel, Non-Taxable Use Only".
    Bills of lading and invoices accompanying any sale of dyed diesel must contain a legible & conspicuous notice stating "Dyed Diesel Fuel, Non-Taxable Use Only, Penalty For Taxable Use".

Why must I report my dyed diesel transactions?
    These transactions must be reported in order to track the tax-free sales and use of the dyed diesel fuel. Additionally, UST and EIF reporting applies to dye diesel.

How do I report my dyed diesel transactions?
    You report the transactions by separating out your dyed diesel activities from your other special fuel transactions.

What are the violations for not properly using dyed diesel?
    Knowingly selling or attempting to sell dyed diesel fuel for highway use:
    First Offense: $2,500 fine Class A misdemeanor.
    Second or Subsequent Offense: $5,000 fine Class 4 felony.
    Knowingly sell, store, or transport dyed diesel fuel without the required notices:
    First Offense: $500 fine
    Second or Subsequent Offense: $1,000 fine
    Having dyed diesel in the fuel tanks attached to a licensed motor vehicle:
    First Offense: $2,500 fine, Class A misdemeanor
    Second or Subsequent Offense: $5,000 Class 4 felony
    Knowingly selling or attempting to sell dyed diesel fuel for use in a recreational-type watercraft:
    First Offense: $5,000 fine Class 4 felony.
    Second or Subsequent Offense: $10,000 fine Class 2 felony.
    Knowingly possessing dyed diesel for use in recreational-type watercraft:
    First Offense: $2,500 fine Class A misdemeanor
    Second or Subsequent Offense: $5,000 Class 2 felony

How are violations discovered?
    Word-of-mouth or anonymous referrals
    Account reviews
    Audits
    Site inspections

Would this be in CT? I passed through last week, they had 87 octane gas for 5.14/gal while everyone else was 3.77.